Burning Silver Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

archer292

Jan 3, 2008
LI NY
A colleague of my wife offered the wood from a tree he had dropped in his yard. I went over today to check it out and not knowing all that much about it I started splitting. Some of the rounds are in the 4 foot diameter range and are really hard to deal with. I intended on renting a splitter but figuring the cost and the amount of wood I'm not sure it's worth it. I would say it was around two cords and it turns out it is most likely silver maple. When i got to the house his wife told me it was a beech tree but I didn't think so so I brought a piece home to see if I could identify it. I'm going by the bark and the best match I could find was the silver maple. It doesn't rate all that well on the btu charts but I figured I would ask if anyone had any experience burning it? Thanks.

If you are serious about heating your home buy a splitter, right after a chainsaw is one of the best investments you could make. Some enjoy the electric ones...I like gas. If you owned a splitter and have room in the yard you would take it cause its close and if you think its too light on the btus you would use it durring the day or the shoulder seasons. Please do not take this post as bashing, I split by hand for 6 years...you still get plenty of exercise cuting and hauling...the splitter will make life easier. The right tool for the job is invaluable!!!

All the Silver Maple around here has thin stringy bark that kind of hangs or peals off the tree. I've burned some Silver Maple and it's not so bad. It gives good heat and leaves good coals. I like to burn it in the spring and fall when I don't need as much heat and save the bigger BTU woods for colder days. I think it burns similar to White Birch.

I's say that any maple that has a 4' diameter has got to be worth the effort to split.

Archer maple splits easy but those big pieces you have to start hand splitting around the outside edge and you can whittle them down with minimum effort. the chunks will be flatter than what your use to with it'll all mix in well when it's all said and done.

Any wood you can get for free and close to home is worth a little effort. Splitting that big stuff by hand will
probably take some effort. Maybe you can find someone near with a splitter who will help you split the
few you can't. I don't think that small amount would be worth the price of a splitter. Save it if you have a
place to store it till you do get enough saved to make a splitter rental worthwell.

A few years ago a large oak tree went down at my wife's parants house. I and the other kids didn't want it
because we could not split it. It sat in the woods for a few years and yesterday I went back and got what
was still good. Ended up with about a cord and it is now split and in the woodshed for next winters burn. I
purchased a gas splitter this spring but have split by hand for many years and after using the splitter for a
few weeks wonder why I didn't buy one years ago. Now I can cut and split a cord or two in a few hours and
have energy left for the rest of the day. A very worthwell investment if you intend to process raw wood for
a few years to come.

Good luck with your quest in getting this wood processed.

I'm setting out today to split what I can by hand. The tree was dropped because it was diseased and the main trunk,allthough 4 ft in diameter, is rotted in the middle. Most pieces anyway. Makes it difficult to split. I cut the smaller hollowed pieces in 4-6 inch strips with the saw. There was a racoon living in the trunk. Nice little apartment she had in there. Had to be about 8 ft of hollowed trunk in the 2 ft diameter range. I don't know how this tree was standing. I committed to this not knowing it was rotted and also not knowing it was silver maple. I think i will take all the smaller rounds and big that are not affected and try to cut the big diseased into smaller pieces for him to deal with.
A splitter is on the list. I just ordered a video on how to build your own. The steel will be the hardest thing to get and the most expensive. I looked at one in Lowes but 1300 is a little more than I have to spend on a splitter right now. I was hoping to find an old used up one to rebuild or a reasonably priced used one, but haven't had any luck yet. Eventually I'll get one.

I purchased a gas splitter this spring but have split by hand for many years and after using the splitter for a
few weeks wonder why I didn’t buy one years ago.

Absolutely agree!

Splitters are perhaps the best invention ever, right up there next to the chainsaw!

Ken

I split by hand for 5 years before I got a splitter so I know what archer's going through.

1k is a lot of money but I got to thinking that over a long period of time it was a bargain. Got my splitter in '82 and it's so running faithfully today...it's so nice to have the option to split for 30min or so after supper without killing yourself.

I agree one million percent. Its nice to have the right tool for the job!!!

Well I couldn't get the big solid rounds split. I had a small wedge and purchased an arrow look alike wedge at lowes yesterday. I had the arrow wedge in about half way and the big f#$@in things just spit it back at me. Two different rounds in different locations. Very frustrating especially after getting them up on there sides!!!! The biggest round that was rotted in the middle split right away with the wedge. That was the first one I tried and figured the rest would follow but I was wrong. Back at it today.

The beechnut trees here still have most of thier leaves. Bark is very smooth. I don't think I've ever burned any.
Only the swamp maples here only have smooth grey bark when they are younger. I'm fairly certain the bark gets a bit rougher when they are the size you are dealing with.
Good Nov./Dec.-March /April wood. If or When you don't need / want too hot a fire.

My experience is it burns much longer than pine.

I'd rather split with several wedges, but there are some pieces where knots just won't allow for anything but using the chainsaw and wasting some wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.