Burning smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
I fired my stove up last night for the first time this season. I noticed that during the burn there was a smell....just like you would smell if you turned the baseboard heat on for the first time in the winter. Is this normal? Had the stove for several years, this is the first time I've smelled it. Like I said, first burn of the season.

It is normal to smell dust burning off the first fire or two of the season. It is a smell as you described. Similar to when baseboard heaters are first fired up after a season off.

I set the smoke alarm off that is near the stove the first fire of the year from all the dust, dog hair, and who knows what burning off.

My dogs were mad at me for making a racket while they were trying to sleep.

I fired my stove up last night for the first time this season. I noticed that during the burn there was a smell....just like you would smell if you turned the baseboard heat on for the first time in the winter. Is this normal? Had the stove for several years, this is the first time I've smelled it. Like I said, first burn of the season.
Carmine said, "I smell burning hair."

Dust . . . totally normal for the first burn of the season.

Yes, I had that "first time furnace" smell also. I think I first fired the furnace about 5 days before I first fired the stove.