Burning some black walnut now :-) Smells gooooood (with pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lotust

Dec 3, 2007
ny
I have some black walnut in my lange I picked up from our tree guy. I work for out locak parks dept so I get pretty much any trees that need to be taken down to that fall down in storms.

I still need to get the walls in the portch covered.

1-14-08Langestove007.jpg

1-14-08Langestove008.jpg

1-14-08Langestove010.jpg

Few more pics. I got this whole burn thing down now. ;-) Its 23* outside now... berrr

1-14-08Langestove015.gif

1-14-08Langestove015-1.gif

1-14-08Langestove019.gif

Yes Black Walnut does smell very good when burned. :)

derbygreg said:
What kind of a stove is that? Looks like an excellent size fire box. Pre 1990 pre EPA?

It was my grandfathers. Its a Lange 6302 from the 1980's I Think thats when he bought it. I was made in "Svendborg,Denmark"

Lange6302.gif

i love Walnut... Apple's supposed to be good to, but never had it

Looks like that is a great stove.

Must have been the time when the stoves were going to EPA certification as it has the tubes at the top. "large second tier heat exchanger...internal baffell system"

24 inch logs are not small either.

I like how it states it can heat '8,000 to 10,000 cubic feet'.

"heats up to 2400 square feet" - what does that mean now a days with these houses with high ceilings.

derbygreg said:
Looks like that is a great stove.

Must have been the time when the stoves were going to EPA certification as it has the tubes at the top. "large second tier heat exchanger...internal baffell system"

24 inch logs are not small either.

I like how it states it can heat '8,000 to 10,000 cubic feet'.

"heats up to 2400 square feet" - what does that mean now a days with these houses with high ceilings.

Yeah its overkill for the porch. But the porch is connected to the living room>then the dinning room>then kitchen. It does flow upstairs too the master too. Grandpa would be happy seeing it getting used again.

I got a good amount of walnut to burn, stuff burns good. My home is surrounded with near pure stands of it.

Also got some apple to burn, not quite seasoned yet, you see, Adams County here is Apple Country, and now and then they gotta tear out them orchards, and when they do they advertise free apple, cut you own! I went and got me some last March but it ain't quite ready to burn yet.

Darn nice stove there too!

ansehnlich1 said:
I got a good amount of walnut to burn, stuff burns good. My home is surrounded with near pure stands of it.

Also got some apple to burn, not quite seasoned yet, you see, Adams County here is Apple Country, and now and then they gotta tear out them orchards, and when they do they advertise free apple, cut you own! I went and got me some last March but it ain't quite ready to burn yet.

Darn nice stove there too!

Free wood rocks! Out last tree guy was a theif. he was choping and spliting on county time then selling it after work. Dirtbag :-(

ansehnlich1 said:

I've got a load of apple in my oslo right now.

You will love it. Watch out though, it does burn hot!

I like walnut too, but I use it to make furniture. Best wood to work in my opinion. Love the spicy smell of walnut plane shavings.

J.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.