Burning Spruce in my Gasifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Reimer

Sep 13, 2012
Winker, Manitoba
Hi all,
It's getting to be wood cutting season again and I have been given access to a stand of Colorado spruce. What are your thoughts on burning this in the Portage and Main Optimizer 250? Does spruce coal well for good gasifier performance? Will the tars and sap cause problems in the heat exchanger tubes?
Thanks!
James.

I would be sure to season it a year or two first. I wouldn't be burning it wet.

I burned hemlock in mine last year. Not the best (coaled up a bunch, bulky in the upper chamber, and needed a bit more tending than I liked)

Other than that.. It's DRY.. it's FREE.. It'll burn fine!

I burned hemlock in mine last year. Not the best (coaled up a bunch, bulky in the upper chamber, and needed a bit more tending than I liked)

Other than that.. It's DRY.. it's FREE.. It'll burn fine!

I agree and had the same experience with 2.5 year dry hemlock, ultra fast burn, huge coal stacks in the upper chamber. I literally have tons of hemlock(I am surrounded by 100footers..whole forest) so I use it, but do not count on it in dead of winter, use in shoulder seasons.

But like it says above: DRY & FREE, GOOD FUEL

Pretty much all I burn is pine/spruce/hemlock/cedar etc. It all burns fine. But I do batch burning with 1000 gallons of storage. Not sure if it would go as well if the boiler was ever idleing.

Is this high altitude spruce? If so it should be very good fuel. It grows a lot slower and denser than low altitude spruce.

I cut up a whole pile of spruce blowdowns a couple of months ago because I was behind in my wood pile for this season - have no doubts it will give me lots of heat. I'll just need more of it that I would if using dry hardwood. Did burn a bit of it scattered through my pile last year - no problems. As long as it is dry, these things will burn any kind of wood. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.