Burning this time of year, Michigan climate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for threadjacking the MI roll call. Feel free to split my comments to another thread if you can cut & paste, which I cannot do on my phone, my primary web appliance and limited in functionality. . .much like my wood burning appliance, a Sedley smokebeast insert circa 1980. It does okay at night when it's 20 degrees out, and morning reload goes okay, thanks to the generous( ~5.5 cu ft!?) firebox, but contnuing the burn through the typically 45 degree afternoon is basically a no go, unless I want to use it as a fire place. So, after much reading here, I have deduced that this is due to the 12" flue being far too large, and the external chimney on the north side of the house doesn't help. . .so a 6" liner is in order, but with the recent talk about shoulder season being a PITA, I'm starting to wonder if the chimney liner is going to make me happy, or whether a new SuperBurn 5000 stove would be worth it if I have to try to burn quickies most days. Will I find happiness with the right setup?

I am finally starting to get a good small fire going. Without it getting 83 f. in the house. While
in the low to mid forties. It took a few fires though. Of course today and most of the week it
is mid fifties. The family is not used to it only being 69 f. in the house now. It is almost to warm
for me too burn at almost 60f. They love the woodstove.
I think I have them hooked......
Thanks again for all of the info.

Backwoods Savage said:
I saw a disgusting looking tree last week and cut it down. Turns out it was a Buckeye. Probably won't even make decent firewood. lol No, not too many northerners. We are all wood burners so we must all like the north woods.
Don't even know what Buckeye looks like? Sounds as if you didn't either.... Have a picture? THX.

Backwoods Savage said:
I saw a disgusting looking tree last week and cut it down. Turns out it was a Buckeye. Probably won't even make decent firewood. lol No, not too many northerners. We are all wood burners so we must all like the north woods.

It don't i've tried :p

Capt said:
Usually, for a fire just to take the chill off, I use three-four splits about the size of 2x4's, and leave the intake open all the way. The stove gets to 350 fast, and by the time the chill is off, it's 70 in the house, and the fire is now coals.

BTW, I live in Commerce Twp.

Hey! Don't forget me in Commerce too! :coolhmm: LOL...friend/co-worker with Capt! Fellow Napoleon 1402 owners. I think the idea of getting together is great! Let's all pull our splitters over and have a splitting contest...who can make the best kindling and Backwoods will be the judge! :lol: I like to think that us "rare breed" in the metro area are more like the Freemasons...we're here, you just don't know it until someone starts up a chainsaw! Need to come up with a MI woodburners symbol! :coolgrin: Was down in Ohio couple weekends ago visting family on the wife's side. Didn't know they had so much Osage...will bring the truck next time and some maroon/gold spray paint to make those Buckeye trees more pleasant to the eye! (CMU Alumni here!)

West Michigan here, my first post, just saying hello and sitting back trying to learn a few things. I have picked up a Quadra Fire 3100 for free. This is my first year heating with wood, So far so good but it isn't really cold yet. I plan on only burning wood that I get for free. I have scrounged up a couple cords of dead fall and hope to get a few more cords before December, Since heating with a stove was kind of an after thought this year I am sure I will be way more preopared next year. We'll see what happens. Nice to see all the Michiganders on here!

I have the quadra fire 3100 step top and love it. I heat 1200 sq foot double wide with it and it does the whole house.

heatit said:
Capt said:
Usually, for a fire just to take the chill off, I use three-four splits about the size of 2x4's, and leave the intake open all the way. The stove gets to 350 fast, and by the time the chill is off, it's 70 in the house, and the fire is now coals.

BTW, I live in Commerce Twp.
I like to think that us "rare breed" in the metro area are more like the Freemasons...we're here, you just don't know it until someone starts up a chainsaw! Need to come up with a MI woodburners symbol! :coolgrin: ! (CMU Alumni here!)

That's on the level....... :cheese:

IPLUMB said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Don't even know what Buckeye looks like? Sounds as if you didn't either.... Have a picture? THX.

Check out these pictures IPLUMB:

Buckeye tree

You won't find many around this area for sure but I did find one up in Merrill. My post above was all in jest about the buckeye...for the sake of our friends in Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.