Burning through pellets in regency gci60

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnbaby

May 19, 2011
Southern nh
I just went to grab a bag of pellets to fill the stove and I realized it was the last bag. I only pick up about 5-10 bags at a time due to room issues. Yesterday I pick up 5 bags of firesides and loaded a bag at 4:00 pm, tonight at 9:00 pm I put the last bag in. I've only burned at heat level 3 or 4. I know my stove eats pellets but this is crazy. So I searched the forums and came across a thread titled gf55 feed trim?? He states that the higher the feed trim settings the less the auger turns. I never have my feed trim above 2. I figured level 5 would put out the most pellets. Also, I purchased my stove jan 2013. Was wondering if I might have the adjustable auger cover, and how would I find it on my regency gci60 insert.
Could it be just the firesides I'm burning. Like I said I know my stove loves to eat pellets, I've just never been through so much in a 30hr period.

I don't know your stove but a quick check tells me its a higher BTU output than mine, but 5 bags in 30 hours? I don't think I could burn near that many running my stove full blast! I'm sure that different pellets feed faster or slower than others but I don't think its possible to vary that much. Does it seem like it is making more heat for all the extra pellets you're burning? Is the burnpot filling up faster than normal? Unburned clinkers? If I was burning over 4 bags a day I would consider going back to electric heat... Wait, thats not true, pellet stove is still a way nicer heat... anyway, good luck, hope you can sort out your issue.

I get 3.3bags/24hrs, which is a lot, but not totally out there. That's 4 bags burned in 29hrs, the fifth one was added at the 29hr mark.

This did seem abnormal to me, it was my first time with the fireside ultras this year. Usually I do about 2 to 2.5 a day running it on 4. I read on here about the adjustable auger cover, however I don't know how to look for it with my insert. Regardless of how many I'm burning I'm loving the heat, but I also love my money as well. Maybe I'll go back to the newp or cubex. Still dying to try vermont as well

Just an update. I pick up some Geneva brand pellets, and I'm back to my usually usage. When putting in the fireside ultras I didn't really pay attention to the size, until the last bag and they did seem small. I'll chalk my over usage up to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.