Burning thru grates burning wood/coal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JodieB

I have a Black Bart II 3200. We burn wood about 98% of the time (well seasoned hardwood mostly oak) and only supplement with coal on really cold nights.

We have already gone thru one brand new cast iron grate (flat style) and the second one (not flat) is starting to bow in the middle. At about $50 a pop this is not something I want to replace twice a winter.

My in-laws have the same stove and their grate has developed a hole.

Neither of us over burn. Why are we going thru grates and is there a certain or brand of grate that will actually last 2-3 years?

Post a pic of the inside of the stove and the grates you are using. I dont know the stove at all is this a grate over an ash pan of grates like you would use in a fireplace? if it is the latter just take them out and burn on the floor that is the way wood stoves are intended to be used.

Yes, use the grate only when you are burning coal. If you are burning on the stove floor, put down a couple inches of dry sand (play sand is fine) or a couple inches of ash to protect the floor.

Air coming up through a grate cools them. Ash piled to the bottom destroys them preventing airflow.

One of these? What is the difference from a 3200 and II ? As far as I know, the grate is only for coal.
http://www.younghouselove.com/2011/06/fire-not-in-the-hole/
If there is no support on the bottom, I don't think it uses one. I would burn on a bed of ash anyway. Maybe fill in the bottom higher with firebrick (or fill with sand) to get the fire up to the air intake level at the doors. There are a few old threads about Black Barts, not many good. Use the search feature at top right.

wood-stove-insert-built-in-blower-black-bart-brand---350-americanlisted_34180473.jpg This is the way I see them burned. Started raised to get going and crash down to complete burn.

Last edited:
If you let ash pile up to were it touches the bottom of them they will warp for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.