Burning thru some walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Duck

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2009
Central PA
My stove has a 'doghouse' air inlet below the door which burns thru any coals and wood that is in front of the air a little faster than the rest of the load. When I load softer wood and/or smaller splits I can sometimes see a trench cut thru the wood from the fron of the stove to the back. I think it is interesting so I took a picture. You can see how the doghouse air has cut the front pieces of wood in half and is working on a larger split toward the back of the stove. This load is mostly Black Walnut which is a little softer than oak or locust so the effect of the doghouse air is more dramatic. The bright flame in the center of the picture indicates where the doghouse air is working its way thru the next split.

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 426
My liberty does the same thing. I blows a hole right through the center of the wood when I load east/west. When I load north/south the bottom center splits burns up long before the rest of the load even really starts to burn

I think BB refers to that as the "Tunnel O Love"....I may be wrong...but..
I know that is what Mr Gamma calls it. ;-)

I don't think BB has his anymore...he took it out...(his doghouse that is..) :lol:

Aren't you glad you found your tunnel o love Wood duck... :)

GAMMA RAY said:

Aren't you glad you found your tunnel o love Wood duck... :)

Finally! Just in time for Valentine's Day.

The tunnel of love is when you create a tunnel under the main charge of fuel and the doghouse supplies air below the fire. This is top down air from the secondaries. PE stoves do the same thing with their central air hole in the baffle. Let's call it the Heart of Flame in honor of the day.

BeGreen said:
The tunnel of love is when you create a tunnel under the main charge of fuel and the doghouse supplies air below the fire.

And BG should know. He coined the term. :lol:

This is the main reason my first layer is loaded N/S. If I load E/W, I end up with a dirty burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.