burning too much wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a very nice feeling to heat exclusively with wood, but I have come to the conclusion that it's OK to supplement your heat with central heating. You can cut your heating costs with wood but on those extremely cold days if you have a furnace don't be afraid to use it.

By the way I have a loft ceiling and I have been able to reverse the ceiling fan with an extension pole with a coat hanger duck taped to it. It's not easy but doable.

I totally agree with you smokey..lat year being my first year burning wood as 99% of my primary heat source it was great but alot of work keeoping the fire going and the house up to the temp that I wanted..The problem was that since I am gone bascially 10 hours durign the day, when I would get home on a real cold day the hosue would be pretty darn cold, maybe 58 or so..It takes awhile of a good woodfire going before all of your objects in the house ambient temps rise! thsi year I have been the programmable thermostat set on the oil furnace to keep it a minimum durign the day and night..ITs been working out realy well and we are overall more comfortable.

I keep the furnace set at 62-65 degrees in the house. I found that to be a good temperature to fall back on when the stove does not keep up at night or during the day when I am at work. It also balances out my wood supply. I am heating roughly 1500 square feet. My house was built in 1952 and is not well insulated except for the attic. My last gas bill here in January for Southeastern Wisconsin was about $45.00 which includes gas for cooking. So I think that isn't a bad deal for the 73+ degree heat I get from the stove in the area.

Mike

Mike, I would say that your doing pretty well!

hi guys i'm back.just to catch up gunners way of loading the stove is working like a charm.i'm getting more time with consisitant results.im gonna try to reach that switch on the fan today with some contraption.as far as the wood processing goes i'm little but i'm pretty strong and i like the challenge of hard work plus it helps keep me in shape. i do almost everything else around the house so if some 80 yr old can do it . then come----- or high water i'm doing it too. i not gonna cut the tree down but i'll hook up my trailer and collect,buying a wood splitter and if i have to roll it up ramps to get it there i will ,if all else fails i can hire a day laborer to help. how do you know how long to season wood and what kind of wood you have? again thanks for all your help. :kiss: p.s do you cover the wood all the time? is it better to leave it in log form till your ready to use it?

seasoned wood looks grey or slightly black on the cut ends. After you handle a few hundred pieces you'll notice that dried seasoned wood is lighter for its size.

As for how long to season...I cut mostly ash and maple down in the spring before they start drawing up water. After that lay a month any residual water is drawn out by any buds. so that wood once split by the end of May I'll burn that October.

Sometimes when I cut when the tree down and it is totally leafed out in the summer I'll just save the log to cut up for next year. It gives me something to do over the winter if the weather is cooperative...or I'll do it on a rainy day. Right now I have about 60 logs stockpiles up from last summer that I'll burn next year.

Hi Newjack,

Look in Newsday. There are some tree cutters that advertise to bring log length to your house for $300 per load. That is a good deal.

You need to dry your wood cut and split and stacked. For more than a year, if you want really good dry wood.

Only get hardwood. Avoid Elm unless you have a gas splitter. Cover the top of the wood pile.

That is all there is to it. Now get your kids to help and you are all set.

Carpniels

NEWJACK said:
hi guys i'm back.just to catch up gunners way of loading the stove is working like a charm.i'm getting more time with consisitant results.im gonna try to reach that switch on the fan today with some contraption.as far as the wood processing goes i'm little but i'm pretty strong and i like the challenge of hard work plus it helps keep me in shape. i do almost everything else around the house so if some 80 yr old can do it . then come----- or high water i'm doing it too. i not gonna cut the tree down but i'll hook up my trailer and collect,buying a wood splitter and if i have to roll it up ramps to get it there i will ,if all else fails i can hire a day laborer to help. how do you know how long to season wood and what kind of wood you have? again thanks for all your help. :kiss: p.s do you cover the wood all the time? is it better to leave it in log form till your ready to use it?

Glad you are getting a handle on the stove end, sounds like you are making progress there.

I wasn't intending to say you can't do what you want, and I agree that processing wood is cheaper than a health club membership (Though it doesn't come with a hot tub to soak in afterwards... :coolsmile: ) I just know too many women that aren't in the shape to do it, which is a pity. I go with getting log length delivered, but I don't have a good vehicle for scrounging, or a trailer, so it works out being cheaper for me to have it dropped in my backyard and I take it from there, though any of my own or my neighbors trees that I can drop SAFELY (i.e. not leaning towards house, powerlines or other such obstacles) I will fell myself.

Normally the preferred woods are hardwoods - you can find endless charts of "BTU values of wood" that rank them pretty much in order of preference - start at the top and work down... Note that Elm is the wood everyone loves to hate, as it can be very difficult to split, probably the most popular around here (New England) are the Oaks and the harder Maples. Softwoods such as Fir and Pine are all there is in some areas, and they are perfectly burnable if properly cured, but tend to give more sparks and hotter fires that don't last as long. Generally you should mostly go with whatever the prevailing woods are in your area - whatever the tree guys are selling...

You should season your wood for AT LEAST one year, starting the "timer" from when you cut it into stove length rounds and get it split and stacked - Well seasoned wood should be MUCH lighter than it was when green, and if you bank two splits together they should "ring" like a baseball bat, as opposed to going "thud" - often the bark will tend to fall off, and you will see radial cracking in the ends of the splits - it will probably be MUCH drier than anything you get from the wood guy.

It should be stacked on some sort of platform to get it off the ground, some folks use pressure treated 2x boards under their stacks, others use pallets, etc. The important thing is to get the wood up and off the ground so it doesn't pick up moisture and so air can circulate through it. Covering is a topic of some debate, certainly it is best to cover it once it's seasoned, but until then some say cover it so it doesn't get wet, others say don't so the moisture can dry faster. I think the best way to store it is in an open sided wood shed, and I start the burn season about 7.5 cords in my two sheds. Each season I start with the left over from the previous year, and then refill with my seasoned surplus and whatever I split first, which I'll burn on a "first in / first out" basis. My extra I will stack outside, and leave uncovered during the summer, and cover it in the fall. Either way, if you cover, you should only "top cover" - put a tarp over the top and maybe a few inches down the sides of the pile, but leave most of it exposed so that air can circulate through it.

Lastly, wood mostly seasons via evaporation from the ends and exposed surfaces - wood in log length basically never seasons, some varieties (birches) will literally rot before they season if not cut to log length, and large rounds split. (especially if left on the ground and exposed to the weather) That is why I said that you should only count your "seasoning time" as starting when you get it processed and stacked. I also think it's much easier to handle in stove sizes.

Hope this helps...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.