Burning top-down in a downdraft catalytic stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I see the beauty of the top-down fire. A slower, more controlled burn on a full load of wood. However, how would this work in a downdraft stove? Seems the hot gasses are being pulled down over the stack, rather than exhausting upwards, perhaps accelerating the burn in a top-down mode. Also, how does the cat play into this, if at all? One must plan to get the stove hot enough at the beginning of the burn cycle to warm and engage the cat.

Hi - It is not an issue. You're not kicking into dow draft mode until the stove/chimney/ and load of wood are burning for some time and all up to temprature. Then the downdraft is engaged, so the manner of starting the fire isn't an issue. It works fine, I use this method often as my top loading stove makes it easy. I was even esier when I got a trigger ignited propave torch for lighting fires.

ATB,
Mike P

Cool. I guess my concern was that the downdraft direction of the exhaust might cause the pile to burn downward more quickly than desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.