Burning uglies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the uglies I've got are short enough to load N-S, so once I've got a nice fire going in the E-W direction, I'll stack on uglies until the stove is full. It seems to make a brighter fire show, and heats about the same.

I burn the uglies down to the notch I cut out to fall the tree. As mentioned earlier, there usually tight grained and put out some good heat.
Always kills me when coming upon a site where a tree was bucked up.....uglies left to rot......I scrounge them back up, no reason to leave good wood out to rot just because it is not a perfect round.

I have a rack that is just for shorts and uglies. In the late afternoon I pull up a beer and lawn chair and look at that rack and go back to my bar hopping days. With every beer those chunks start looking better and better.
also, uglies are more appreciative and will...wait are we still talking about burning?

I can't understand discriminating against uglies. I expect to burn every inch of the trees that will be felled to build my house (after they are seasoned a few years).
For me, the most scarce resource in my firewood "supply chain" is storage space (in the "gazebos" where I stack my wood) - as opposed to trees or labor. Uglies don't utilize that resource very well, as they don't stack nicely.

I always put the uglies on the top of the stacks in the wood shed. They don't stack well at all.

Reactions: northwinds
Those twists and knots are great I burn me early in the season because you can't fit as much in the stove but they're great I throw all of em on top of the wood pile and grab me first. My dad didn't want to burn them after I gave him some said it was crap wood he started burnin it and says it burns hotter. After proving my point he said all these twisted pieces of wood heat great but now the smoke comes out all twisted and wrong. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.