BURNING WAY TOO FAST

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annabelle

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2008
new york
I HAVE A NEW ENGLANDER 25 PDVC. SINCE COLD WEATHER HAS SET IN, WE HAVE BEEN RUNNING IT EVERYNIGHT ALL NIGHT UNTIL ABOUT 7AM. WE SEEM TO BE GOING THROUGH ALOT OF PELLETS, I HAVE ADJUSTED THE BOTTOM BUTTONS FOR THE FUEL FEED AND AIR. IT DOESN'T SEEM TO MATTER WHAT I DO, STILL GOING THROUGH ALOT OF PELLETS. I FILL UP THE HOPPER AROUND 10:00 BEFORE BED AND BY 7:00am IT IS JUST ABOUT EMPTY. ALSO, I GET ALOT OF ASH ON THE ASH TRAY. IT IS USUALLY FULL BY MORNING. I HAVE TRIED USING A FEW DIFFERENT PELLETS TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE, NOT MUCH.
ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? ALSO, WHAT SETTING IS NORMAL TO RUN THE STOVE? I USUALLY START AT 5 THEN TURN IT DOWN OVERNIGHT TO EITHER 2 OR 3 SETTING. I HAVE ALWAYS RUN THE HEAT SETTING AND FAN AT SAME SETTING.
SHOULD I BE TURNING THE HEAT ALITTLE LOWER AND THE FAN HIGHER?

You should refrain from using all caps, it is the Internet equivalent of YELLING across a room, and some plp get testy about it. Having said that, how much does your hopper hold? If its one bag, your usage could simply be normal. It has been cold

I am using about 1 to 1 and a half bags a day right now 24/7. I keep mine on 1-1 or 1-2 and 5-5-1 which is good for my stove and pellet brand. House is a 1500 sq. ft. cape and right now it's 70* in all rooms except in the room the stove is in 73*. 22* outside with windchill of 9*. Factory default is 6-4-1, I have changed it to 5-5-1 and works great. Ive tried to lower it to 4-5-1 but get a really low flame, a smoke smell and sooty burn. Hope this helps. I never start it at 5 setting, almost always 1-1, even thought the manual says to start it at 5.

ya, that is quick. at 1-3 or 2-3 it should go 24 hours or so....

im having to run mine at 7-7 to get my living room which the stove is in up to 72 in the morning when i wake up its only 60-70. This stove is suppsoed to be 200 square foot yeah right. I am going to be in trouble when it gets colder i believe Im going through 1 1/2 to 2bags per day.

I pretty much ran mine on 3/3 last winter, and occaisionally on 7/9 to bring the heat up and then back to 3/3 to maintain. Went through about 1/2 bags a day when it was really cold.

I always had the same problem. I haven't used mine this year since I bought the P-38 last spring. I go through less pellets with the P-38, yet it runs far cleaner. It always seems like I burn way to many pellets with the Englander, yet if I turn it all the way down it runs really dirty. If I ever get off my lazy butt, I'm going to sell the Englander because I like the Harman so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.