Burning while you're at work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would worry about the pellet stove running all day when we where not there.a friend put a small camera on it so i could see it from my lap-top.its nice to "see" nothing going on but a nice flame.

Its cheap insurance when your at dinner and worried about the stove being on.

johnnywarm said:
I would worry about the pellet stove running all day when we where not there.a friend put a small camera on it so i could see it from my lap-top.its nice to "see" nothing going on but a nice flame.

id worry more about a pellet stove too. What is that old saying. "To err is human but to realy jack stuff up it takes a computer".

Some of those new pellet stoves have little circut boards and have been known to go bad. Most of the time the pellet stove just quits and no other harm done. With the wood stove all I worry about is it going out.

johnnywarm said:
...a friend put a small camera on it so i could see it from my lap-top. its nice to "see" nothing going on but a nice flame. Its cheap insurance when your at dinner...

Yeah...but I hate it when the salad dressing or pasta sauce spills on my keyboard. %-P Rick

Saw-dust said:
johnnywarm said:

id worry more about a pellet stove too. What is that old saying. "To err is human but to really jack stuff up it takes a computer".

Some of those new pellet stoves have little circut boards and have been known to go bad. Most of the time the pellet stove just quits and no other harm done. With the wood stove all I worry about is it going out.

the person who started the tread is worried about his or her house going up in flames.i think it will re-insure them its not doing anything its not suppose to be doing.

Pellet stove in my opinion are safer then wood stove for the fact the wood stove burns hotter and can get out of control faster.

The computer in the pellet stove will not allow that to happen and is burning cooler then any wood stove i have ever seen.

I know there must have been a fire started by a pellet stove but i have only heard of the wood stoves catching fire on the news.

I'm sure you will correct me on the one that starts more fires in the home.

Any modern, approved, solid fuel-burning appliance, properly installed, properly operated, and properly maintained, is perfectly safe to leave unattended. Rick

johnnywarm said:

The stove I have isn't a pellet stove. It's actually a Kachelofen style stove from Germany that will burn wood and coal. I will probably amp up the daily burn time this winter, but I'm only working with about 1 cord, so probably couldn't go full steam all season.

johnnywarm said:
Saw-dust said:
johnnywarm said:

id worry more about a pellet stove too. What is that old saying. "To err is human but to really jack stuff up it takes a computer".

the person who started the tread is worried about his or her house going up in flames.i think it will re-insure them its not doing anything its not suppose to be doing.

Pellet stove in my opinion are safer then wood stove for the fact the wood stove burns hotter and can get out of control faster.

The computer in the pellet stove will not allow that to happen and is burning cooler then any wood stove i have ever seen.

I know there must have been a fire started by a pellet stove but i have only heard of the wood stoves catching fire on the news.

I'm sure you will correct me on the one that starts more fires in the home.

oh hang on dude. Your right, we dont want to scare anybody and i didn't want to do that. I never ment to anyway, sorry if I did. I like what rick said, if they put in right and used with common sence all of them should be safe, and I think they are safe.

as for house fires, it is not even seldom here. I cant remember a houe fire caused by a stove or pelet stove around here in the last few years at all. I couldn't tell you which causes more fires cause there havn't been any here that i know of. Onec in a rere while I'll hear about a computer needing replaced on a pellet stove. I can't help it. Sometimes i wonder if they can go bonkers but I'm sure they got that coverd too.

But like rick says, if they are put in right and people try to be careful - and most folks are very careful, the chance of a fire is really small.

Michael B said:
johnnywarm said:

The stove I have isn't a pellet stove. It's actually a Kachelofen style stove from Germany that will burn wood and coal. I will probably amp up the daily burn time this winter, but I'm only working with about 1 cord, so probably couldn't go full steam all season.

I have pellet and now a wood stove.i was in the same boat as you about the stove running while away.the camara helped me alot. good luck.

Mike: If it is a kachelofen, is it not intended to be burnt intermittently in the first place (once or twice a day ?) To my knowledge, a kachelofen is designed to have a fire burnt in it "flat out - as hot as possible, then shut down the damper (usually a flat plate guilotine type) to keep the heat in and it will re-radiate the absorbed heat all day. In other words, it is a type of masonry heater and not a conventional stove. I strongly suggest you try to get instructions on how to properly operate this heater, running with it choked down can cause a lot of creosote buildup if it was not designed to work that way.

Take a look here for advice: http://mha-net.org/

Michael B said:

Yes, a masonry heater's a different beast. I know some foks who have one in their home. Not loaded & burned in the same manner as the appliances we talk most about here. But, back to original concern, if a masonry heater is properly installed and properly operated, it's safe to walk away from the thing while it's burning. Rick

Bottom line is: these things are designed, built, and made to operate safely weather your home or not. As long as the owner does his/her part in cleaning and maintaining these appliances there will never be an issue. Period.

In my own personal experience, I've found that after careful attention to the installation being done with thorough understanding of the clearances involved, and proper operation of the appliance, the next most important thing is to be careful about placing combustibles...firewood, kindling, paper, starters, whatever...in proximity to the stove. Early on I had a big copper wash tub full of splits standing on end, and a few more laid cross-wise on top. I had that thing sitting so close to the stove that the ends of those top splits were only about 4" away from the side. Loaded up the stove and went to bed. Kept thinking I was smelling something, went out & checked, and the ends of those splits on top were starting to char & smoke. Scared the bejeezus outta me, and I've never forgotten. I can't even look at a woodstove without reliving that. Rick

Here are some pics of the stove i have. It's not a "true" masonry or old school kachelofen, but uses the technology of those to radiate heat and circulate air around the tiles.

the hearth is raised 12" and I only have 4" of clearance in front of the stove..

According the instructions and the original importer, they are designed to burn all day/night but require a 20 minute hot burn to clean the creosote build up - twice daily.

Attachments

• House 09.21.08 001.jpg
    House 09.21.08 001.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 415
  • House 09.21.08 001.jpg
    House 09.21.08 001.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 406
  • House 09.21.08 002.jpg
    House 09.21.08 002.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 410
Here's another pic of the loading doors and damper controls. There's a primary controlled by a thermostat and 2ndary dial intake. Like I said, it's also a coal burner, hence all the dampers and shaker grate system.

If any old coal miners on the forum, you'll notice the safety lantern, old fashion annomometer, and you can't see it, but there a really old carbide lantern up there.

Attachments

• House 09.21.08 003.jpg
    House 09.21.08 003.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 417
Is there floor protection in front of the raised hearth ? If not, I would personally not burn the stove unattended. My worst fear is of the glass fracturing, resulting in an overfire and possible ejection of embers onto the floor. I know the special glass has to go through impact testing, but failure can still occur due to thermal mechanical stress (wrong instalation) or due to a minor surface stress raiser (scratch). For this reason, one should always be sure to adhere to the recommended clearances and potentially exceed the floor protection requirements in front of the stove.

hello i am a newby here. i just want to ask some ?s on my burning technics. i have the older fisher 2 door stove in the basement is it ok to get it burning real good and at bed time load it up and shut it down until morning , then load it up again and go to work . it has the damper turn in the stove pipe. please feel free to give any advice .

I have been buring 24/7 with my Lopi and have had no problems. Load it up before I head off to work, and then when I get home its usually cool. I fire it back up in time for bed and load it up again for an overnight burn.

My hearth is 18" and the insert is into a masonary hearth. I do not have a worry.

Erik

Hey Bull, just be careful of the temp that your burning that old stove at. You dont want it to smolder. Also make sure you are using good seasoned wood. Smoldering the fire with the driest of wood could cause you problems in your chimney. If I were you, check your stack often for signs of creosote. you dont want a chimney fire.

what is the best waythat i should set the stove . i usaully close the damper and the drafts down . is this not a good thing .

It all depends. All stoves and set ups are different. You and I could have the same stove but they burn different. At first I would attempt to keep an eye on your chimney. And adjust your burning style accordingly.

the way that i mentioned in the above post , is the way i have been told to run the stove . i have been burning this way for 4yrs . but i am still scared of it. so if i ask too many ?s please bare with me. want to be very sure of procedure. thanks for the help. stove is older 2 door fisher 8" hole in back 90* to 4" to 90* turn into 8" flue tile surrounded by flue block ran inside of house through basement floor out the roof no flue cap. anything wrong with the set up

Status
Not open for further replies.