Burning wood chips??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lme

Aug 20, 2015
Spearfish sd
I have a wood boiler heating my shop. I was wondering if anyone has burned wood chips along with Splitwood to make the fire last longer. The local sawmill would sell me pine chips very reasonable. Has anyone done this or tried anything similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a wood boiler heating my shop. I was wondering if anyone has burned wood chips along with Splitwood to make the fire last longer. The local sawmill would sell me pine chips very reasonable. Has anyone done this or tried anything similar?

What type of boiler are you running ?

Getting and keeping them dry would be a challenge. Green or wet chips would produce smoke, high emissions and little additional heat, I suspect.

I tried some chips. They burn but not sure how much heat I am getting from them. Smokes a fair amount

Status
Not open for further replies.