burning wood from "the dogpoop tree"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdoct

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2008
ilinois
The female Ginko tree gives off a fruit each fall, that layers the grass (or sidewalk) below it that reeks of dog poop. Walk along the sidewalk and step in the tree excretions and youve got a dogshit equivalent on your shoes for the world to smell. Yuch. The whole area smells BAD even when you walk past. I've petitioned our high school to remove the offending tree, and they're in agreement.

After two years, the guys with chainsaws are finally out there. YEAH!!!!!

Can I burn the Ginko wood? Would it have the same offensive smell?

I know the tree that you're talking about. There were a few of them on campus around the school of music when I was in college. Never tried to burn one, but they do stink to high heaven.

-SF

The trees are either male or female and--no surprise--the males make no fruit and don't reek.

In other words, ginkos make great ornamental trees, just get boy ones. If anyone at the high
school is sad about the tree (like eco-minded HS students), they could could plant a male replacement!

Burn it and report back please! :) I bet any smell would go right up the flue. Hey, who was having the neighbor problems? I'll chip in on shipping to his house!

Matt

Even if the wood smell when green, the smell should go away as the wood seasons. I know that the smell from nice smelling wood goes away, but life isn't fair. I wouldn't think the smell of the wood would matter when you are burning it in a stove - the fire would probably burn the smell molecules, and the gas should all go up the stack. Bringing it in to the house might be different situation, however.

if it smells that bad, just think how ripe your going to be after handling that tree. i would leave it for the tree guys. let them stink.

but that's me :)

This is an old thread, but I just found it ... believe the stink actually comes from the plum-like fruit, and it doesn't really tend to stink except during the season where the fruit is ripening. There was one near my cafeteria for my first couple yrs of college - then someone finally got smart and they cut it down. I bet it's a good wood for burning. They are beautiful trees, with the fan-shaped leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.