Burning wood in woodstove with screen installed for open fire viewing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowfreak

Nov 18, 2005
Altona, NY
I'm considering upgrading my current stove to one of the larger Jotul models. Most of the Jotul lineup has the option to add a screen mesh in the front door for open fire viewing. I know most of the heat would go up the chimney but I figured some nights it would be nice to watch and hear the crackle of the fire. The dealer indicated the stove should be run with the air control fully open, I would be concerned that that the chimney would get extremely hot in that situation. Does anyone here have a Jotul that they use the optional screen kit? I still plan on purchasing one of the Jotuls regardless, just curious if I would be wasting my money on the screen kit. Curious also if any modern day stove could be run with the door open and custom screen installed for (open fire viewing) I like the idea of having an efficent wood stove for 99% of the time and the ability to use it as an open fireplace a couple nights a year.

Chimney doesn't get very hot with the screen installed and the draft control fully open before the draft speed is thoroughly diluted by the large amount of room air that will go up the chimney. I imagine they tell you to keep air control open fully to keep the curtain of air flowing across the door opening to prevent any smoke from spilling back into the room, but that's a guess.

Not all modern stoves are listed for a screen. Quadrafire and Hearthstone are examples of these. There might be some listing issue asociated with it, or the flue might not be big enough for the specific appliance to draft properly with all the additional air. I dont know why this would be differnt from stoves that are able to have open door burning, but from a insurance point of view i would advise against it. Of course the Jotul is fine.

I bought the jotul castine about a month ago and as an after thought ordered the spark screen. There is some heat loss although I haven't noticed the chimney pipe getting overly hot actually its a nice option to be able to "hear"the fire. It seems to work best with high pressure and very dry wood. I was going to use it during rainy weather and found that a little smoke escaped into the room. I have almost 21 feet of chimney so I think it was due to low pressure..buy it you'll like it.

the harman also has a spark screen option,, it is nice for rainy days or for the wife to hear and see the fire! no over-fireing here, same as when i use the grill

I have the screen for my Jotul F3CB, but I actually haven't used it other than putting it on just to see how it does. I do know I feel more heat radiating directly out the front with the doors open so yopu might feel more heat directly in front of it with it on. But I get plenty of heat anyway and still have an awesome view through the glass so I sort of regret spending the $75-100 bucks I spent on it. I had a fireplace before and enjoyed the crackle of the fire but have found I am so much happier with the stove that I don't miss it.

snowfreak said:
I'm considering upgrading my current stove to one of the larger Jotul models. Most of the Jotul lineup has the option to add a screen mesh in the front door for open fire viewing. I know most of the heat would go up the chimney but I figured some nights it would be nice to watch and hear the crackle of the fire. The dealer indicated the stove should be run with the air control fully open, I would be concerned that that the chimney would get extremely hot in that situation. Does anyone here have a Jotul that they use the optional screen kit? I still plan on purchasing one of the Jotuls regardless, just curious if I would be wasting my money on the screen kit. Curious also if any modern day stove could be run with the door open and custom screen installed for (open fire viewing) I like the idea of having an efficent wood stove for 99% of the time and the ability to use it as an open fireplace a couple nights a year.
I've been looking at the Jotul Kennebeck or Tamarack but I couldn't find a single bit of info anywhere that says they have a screen option. Does anyone know if they come with an optional screen? So far the only one I have found is a Harmon option called Cozy Screen (no pictures at all) and a PE Pacific insert. Thanks.

< I can see the fire just fine with mine :)

Pirate,

I'm almost certain there is no factory available screen for the Jotul insert. It's not listed as an option in the manual, it's not listed as an option on my dealer's price sheet and I've never seen a picture of the Jotul with a screen (on Jotul's site or elsewhere).

Dan

wahoowad said:
I have the screen for my Jotul F3CB, but I actually haven't used it other than putting it on just to see how it does. I do know I feel more heat radiating directly out the front with the doors open so yopu might feel more heat directly in front of it with it on. But I get plenty of heat anyway and still have an awesome view through the glass so I sort of regret spending the $75-100 bucks I spent on it. I had a fireplace before and enjoyed the crackle of the fire but have found I am so much happier with the stove that I don't miss it.

Same here, bought the screen thinking that I'd use it all the time. Put it on in the beginning and have never used it. I guess I'm glad I have it just in case but I'm perfectly happy watching the fire the the glass and the heat is enough to keep me toasty.

snowfreak said:
... Curious also if any modern day stove could be run with the door open and custom screen installed for (open fire viewing)

My VC Winter Warm Large has a screen option, I have it, but I've never put it on. It's a hassle (and dirty) swapping the glass for the screen so I just open the door up and burn it that way for the first 30 minutes to an hour. Mrs. Mo Heat LOVES it so I pick up a little political capital that way. It also helps keep the glass from smoking up since by the time I close the door, everything is rolling right along with little or no smoldering or smoke. I think the Encore can do the same thing. Both have 8" liner if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.