Burning wood with mold or fungus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesj

Jun 27, 2008
Islesboro Maine
I had to store some of my wood under a tarp. Now I'm building a shed for wood storage. The wood under the tarp has a little white mold & some kind of fungus. Woods not covered with it but there is a little here & there. Any problem with burning the wood?

I burn oak with mushrooms on it.

Fungus spores/roots/rhizomes actually dig into the wood where they can and develop small air channels that dry the wood even better but do decrease the btu content of the wood (minutely). It's safe to burn but the wood is usually too wet to burn half way decent unless the fire is really hot. I was about to tell you to ship me about ten pieces of it and I would conduct burn tests for you but then I figured you probably wouldn't trust someone you haven't met before.

charlesj said:
I had to store some of my wood under a tarp. Now I'm building a shed for wood storage. The wood under the tarp has a little white mold & some kind of fungus. Woods not covered with it but there is a little here & there. Any problem with burning the wood?

No issues . . . if you really want you can knock it off before putting it in the shed and it should dry out . . . just don't cut up the mushrooms and stick them in your spaghetti sauce! ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
. . . just don't cut up the mushrooms and stick them in your spaghetti sauce! ;) :)

Whoops! :ahhh:

Nothing wrong with a nice spaghetti flashback from time to time. Rick

fossil said:

I think I just realized how the Pastafarians got their start.

Jags said:
fossil said:

That wasn't oregano either.

LLigetfa said:
Jags said:
fossil said:

I was just bored so I was "noodling" around on the board. These puns are getting out of hand. I'm going to the kitchen to "pasta" time away.

jdinspector said:
LLigetfa said:
Jags said:
fossil said:

I was just bored so I was "noodling" around on the board. These puns are getting out of hand. I'm going to the kitchen to "pasta" time away.

Which of course is the pizza de resistance.

BrotherBart said:
...Which of course is the pizza de resistance.

Orzo it would seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.