Burning Wood With Stain On It...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
I have a BUNCH of old oak baseboard from a home renovation. The old 12" stuff..... What is the worry about burning wood with stain on it? I have never burned it, but now that my wood pile is about shot, I am thinking about mixing some of it in with my not so seasoned wood.

Thoughts?

If it were mine I would burn away. Especially if its only stain and no clear finish. But even if it has a finish I would burn it, maybe others wouldn't.

wkpoor said:
If it were mine I would burn away. Especially if its only stain and no clear finish. But even if it has a finish I would burn it, maybe others wouldn't.

Truth be told..... I just tossed a few in....

I think most of the concern about burning treated/stained/etc. wood is that nasty chemicals are likely leaving the chimney and entering the air. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
I think most of the concern about burning treated/stained/etc. wood is that nasty chemicals are likely leaving the chimney and entering the air. Cheers!

Hey.... As long as I am warm. Al Gore can bite me....

I have been using some left over oak flooring as kindling this season. I do not use it in large amounts, just a couple of split sections to get the fire going.

Its no problem. Even tossing in 3-4 at once the pieces are so small & they burn so hot & fast,very little if any odors will appear,even if you stand outside 20 ft from the chimney.I've burned the occasional piece with paint or old thin worn varnish also on occasion,dont do it all the time or in large quantities though.

Though if I had access to old 12" oak baseboard,I'd most likely pull the nails,trim off any cracks,splits or defects & run the stuff through the planer to save for future projects. ;-) That old-growth vintage wood is a dream to work,you cant find the quality today no matter where you go or how much you pay....

Status
Not open for further replies.