Burnpot question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRA

Feeling the Heat
Nov 24, 2014
north shore ma
I was wondering what methods people use to get rust off the burn pot. I only have a few spots and it's nothing major and I use a handheld wire brush to scrape the pot every two to three days. Just wondering if there was a more efficient way. I am new to burning and I have a winslow pi40 insert that works great. I burn softwood as well as hardwood does that effect the amount of rust that can develop in the burn pot. Thanks

you must be burning intermittently still, right?
i have to guess it's air humidity that is giving the needed moisture for rust to develop.

i use a wire wheel (cone shaped, bristles point downward) maybe once a month just to clean surface build up.
but i never get rust during burning season.
during the off season i have a damp rid container inside the firebox. and i spray the pot with graphite spray after the final season's end cleaning.

Reactions: Bioburner
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am burning intermittently, due to the few warm days we have had in Boston. It is one or two small spots that show what appears to be a rust spot. Not sure about the brushing use I think it's cheap detail wire brush. Where can I purchase a brush like the one you use, home depot? New to all of this, also where did you get the damp rid container and how does it operate. Thanks

damp rid is a desiccant that removes moisture from the air.
the container holds a pack of it and allows the water to collect in a lower compartment and has a spout you can empty it with.
i got mine at the local hardware store.
after you have the container, all you need is the refill packs.
i thought about rigging up a strainer and bowl thing to do the same thing as the container. but the small footprint of the purpose made container is just too convenient.
during the off season i used one full pack and opened a second one that i used part of and frugally re sealed (bagged) for next year.
but it's an off season item in my opinion.
it's not super expensive, but i wouldn't want to waste a whole pack when full time burning may be just around the corner.

a few little spots of rust is nothing to worry all that much about.
you could use some pam spray and hit the pot with that on the non burn days.
that might be more cost effective and less cumbersome for short term use.
though if a lot of water droplets build up, they can penetrate and reach the metal.
shouldn't be a problem if you keep an eye on it if you leave if for longer periods.

also, choose a tool that works for your pot.
mine has no parts that would fly away when hit with a spinning wheel.
i am careful too not to damage or hit the thermocouple cover that protrudes over the edge of my burn pot.
some people use a dremel tool.

i really don't even need to use the wheel. but i like to see the thing a bit shiny every once in a while.
it would be fine if i very rarely cleaned it.
i don't get a lot of build up. i've never had anything obstruct the pull rod from working.
from what i read, different designs have different issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.