1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Burnt lawn - Can I repair by this fall?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by abrucerd, Jul 22, 2013.

1. abrucerd

abrucerd Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    Normally I don't care much if my grass browns in July/August due to drought, which has happened again this year.

However, we're going to try to sell our house next spring, and I didn't even think about trying to take photos of the outside before the lawn looked crappy.

I know that fall is the best time to grow grass... any recommendations for a plan to get the lawn back into shape so I can snap some photos in October?

As it stands now, the only green areas on my lawn are some patches of crabgrass and other weeds. Should I spray some weed killer, let the lawn sit for a few weeks, then plant grass seed and water continuously? Am I better off just using roundup and starting from scratch?

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Sound like you just need water more than "repair". Start watering now, and if weeds get out of hand apply the appropriate herbicide. You want your weeds to be healthy right before you kill them ;).
    MasterMech and abrucerd like this.
  3. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    I second the advice of just watering the lawn. During a drought grass goes dormant but should come back once it receives enough water. I would water it liberally for 2 to 3 weeks and see if it comes back before doing anything drastic.
    abrucerd likes this.
  4. abrucerd

abrucerd Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    Ok... I'll try to water it before I do anything else. How soon after watering can I expect the green to return? Should I keep mowing?
  5. Bocefus78

Bocefus78 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside Indy
    Water 1" per week minimum. That is what grass likes to stay green....it'll take more than 1" per week to get it back to green initially. Do you fertilize?
    abrucerd likes this.
  6. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    The brown will never turn green again...it is the new growth that greens up the lawn. So mow it a bit short while still brown so that stuff can start to decompose, water the $%#^&$ out of it, and mow it higher than you normally would from now on.
    abrucerd likes this.
  7. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I just pour the last of my gas in the lawnmower. The grass instantly gets greener.:confused:
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Does this depend on the grass? We can go a couple months without rain. Most Puget Sound area lawns brown out every summer during the dry spell and are totally green and in need of mowing by mid-Sept or October.
  9. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana

It could, but I can't say for sure one way or the other. Usually, although not the case this year, unirrigated lawns will be totally brown around here right now. They'll green up in August, but the majority of the once brown blade doesn't green up. It takes a couple mowings before all the brown is gone. I usually just mow it a bit shorter than normal to get the dead off and down in the thatch so the green growth is more visible. There are also some annual grasses that have completed their cycle, go dormant, and don't come back.
  10. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Can I get some that go dormant from April to Oct?
  11. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    Jags likes this.
  12. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana

Yes. It's called concrete and green dye. My BIL installed a concrete lawn for a guy once. No joke. Something like 80 yards concrete with green liquid dye added to the truck. I haven't seen it but he said it actually turned out nice. He left some rings around the trees and some beds for flowers and whatnot. This was on a small lot in town.
    Jags likes this.
  13. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Hmmm...I think astro turf or cement might get real pricey, real quick for my yard (5 acres).
  14. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana

Sounds like you need to put in some alfalfa and let someone else do your mowing for you.
  15. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I really want to get a large tree line (think forest) going. Reduce the mowing and...well...I kinda like trees (and I want to build a useful wind break).
    Joful likes this.
  16. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Heard that. My yard was once a cornfield. I had my forest started last spring, then the drought killed it :mad:.
  17. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    If I had that much land that would be exactly my plan. Reduce the lawn to a manageable size and plant low maintenance plants, future firewood in the rest. Maybe adding some small veggie garden in one corner. I rather enjoy my time than spend hours on my lawnmower every weekend.
    Jags likes this.
  18. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I already have a garden, but that doesn't take up much room (24 x 24). I do have lots of trees planted, but being small, I still have to keep the grass, etc knocked down around them. Need to plant a few hundred more.
  19. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    Have you thought about replacing the grass with some groundcover? Maybe something that likes partial-sun to shade so it will still be there once the trees are larger.
  20. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I am unaware of anything that would do that.
  21. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
  22. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    When I get a chance, I will have to peruse that site.
  23. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Nah, he just needs a bigger mower.
    MasterMech likes this.
  24. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Much bigger than this, and I wouldn't be able to maneuver. I have a couple hundred trees as it is.
    100_1552sm.jpg
  25. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    How about planting some corn and wheat? You seem to have the proper equipment already. ;lol