Burnt lawn - Can I repair by this fall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrucerd

Aug 22, 2007
Central MA
Normally I don't care much if my grass browns in July/August due to drought, which has happened again this year.

However, we're going to try to sell our house next spring, and I didn't even think about trying to take photos of the outside before the lawn looked crappy.

I know that fall is the best time to grow grass... any recommendations for a plan to get the lawn back into shape so I can snap some photos in October?

As it stands now, the only green areas on my lawn are some patches of crabgrass and other weeds. Should I spray some weed killer, let the lawn sit for a few weeks, then plant grass seed and water continuously? Am I better off just using roundup and starting from scratch?

Thanks!

Sound like you just need water more than "repair". Start watering now, and if weeds get out of hand apply the appropriate herbicide. You want your weeds to be healthy right before you kill them ;).

I second the advice of just watering the lawn. During a drought grass goes dormant but should come back once it receives enough water. I would water it liberally for 2 to 3 weeks and see if it comes back before doing anything drastic.

Reactions: abrucerd
Ok... I'll try to water it before I do anything else. How soon after watering can I expect the green to return? Should I keep mowing?

Water 1" per week minimum. That is what grass likes to stay green....it'll take more than 1" per week to get it back to green initially. Do you fertilize?

The brown will never turn green again...it is the new growth that greens up the lawn. So mow it a bit short while still brown so that stuff can start to decompose, water the $%#^&$ out of it, and mow it higher than you normally would from now on.

The brown will never turn green again...it is the new growth that greens up the lawn. So mow it a bit short while still brown so that stuff can start to decompose, water the $%#^&$ out of it, and mow it higher than you normally would from now on.
Does this depend on the grass? We can go a couple months without rain. Most Puget Sound area lawns brown out every summer during the dry spell and are totally green and in need of mowing by mid-Sept or October.

Does this depend on the grass? We can go a couple months without rain. Most Puget Sound area lawns brown out every summer during the dry spell and are totally green and in need of mowing by mid-Sept or October.

It could, but I can't say for sure one way or the other. Usually, although not the case this year, unirrigated lawns will be totally brown around here right now. They'll green up in August, but the majority of the once brown blade doesn't green up. It takes a couple mowings before all the brown is gone. I usually just mow it a bit shorter than normal to get the dead off and down in the thatch so the green growth is more visible. There are also some annual grasses that have completed their cycle, go dormant, and don't come back.

Can I get some that go dormant from April to Oct?

Yes. It's called concrete and green dye. My BIL installed a concrete lawn for a guy once. No joke. Something like 80 yards concrete with green liquid dye added to the truck. I haven't seen it but he said it actually turned out nice. He left some rings around the trees and some beds for flowers and whatnot. This was on a small lot in town.

Reactions: Jags
Hmmm...I think astro turf or cement might get real pricey, real quick for my yard (5 acres).

Sounds like you need to put in some alfalfa and let someone else do your mowing for you.

Sounds like you need to put in some alfalfa and let someone else do your mowing for you.

I really want to get a large tree line (think forest) going. Reduce the mowing and...well...I kinda like trees (and I want to build a useful wind break).

Reactions: Ashful
Heard that. My yard was once a cornfield. I had my forest started last spring, then the drought killed it :mad:.

I really want to get a large tree line (think forest) going. Reduce the mowing and...well...I kinda like trees (and I want to build a useful wind break).

If I had that much land that would be exactly my plan. Reduce the lawn to a manageable size and plant low maintenance plants, future firewood in the rest. Maybe adding some small veggie garden in one corner. I rather enjoy my time than spend hours on my lawnmower every weekend.

Reactions: Jags
I already have a garden, but that doesn't take up much room (24 x 24). I do have lots of trees planted, but being small, I still have to keep the grass, etc knocked down around them. Need to plant a few hundred more.

Have you thought about replacing the grass with some groundcover? Maybe something that likes partial-sun to shade so it will still be there once the trees are larger.

Nah, he just needs a bigger mower.

Much bigger than this, and I wouldn't be able to maneuver. I have a couple hundred trees as it is.
100_1552sm.jpg

How about planting some corn and wheat? You seem to have the proper equipment already. ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.