Burnt smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
When I walk outside my home I smell a burnt wood smell when I burn rather than the pleassant odor one usually gets when buring in a fireplace. No smoke coming out of the stack. Any reason for this?

You will always notice that. If you go outside right after you load the stove you'll notice the same difference. It is just that with these new stoves they burn the wood much better and with that, you don't get that fresh wood smoke odor. So next time you notice this, be thankful knowing you are burning cleaner and not polluting the air.

...but if it's an astringent odor. Like how an overused kitty litter box that make your nose crinkle or purse your lips after drinking cheep Vodka. Then it could be the burning of unseasoned wood.

Then again I could be projecting...sorry about that.

savageactor7 said:
...but if it's an astringent odor... Then it could be the burning of unseasoned wood...
+1

or incomplete combustion. You might have the stove choked back too much. I'm guessing the inside of the stove door has the same smell. Is the interior of the stove a light tan colour or black?

Status
Not open for further replies.