Burnt Split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uper

Feb 5, 2010
Eastern UP, MI
I tried to fit this split into my small firebox and it wouldn't go, so I tossed it out in the driveway with the intent to move it in the morning for a slimming down. I had it in the stove on coals for no more that 20 seconds. It was a bit punky and I had to brush some of the orange edges a bit, but there were still some small spots of orange. Since there was snow in the drive I thought it would bounce around enough to go out. This is what it looked like in the morning:

Attachments

• 11-29-10 burnt split.jpg
    11-29-10 burnt split.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 392
I'll bet there are a lot of us who have done the very same thing. Take it out and throw it into the snow.

Wow! I have done that too. What kind of wood is that? Wind must have been blowing.

I wasn't paying much attention to the kind of wood, but I'm pretty sure it was maple. It was getting pretty punky on the interior of the split and that appears to be what burned up. As it got to the better wood it went out. I think there was a little breeze that night, but not anything major. It's just interesting to me how far that piece burned. BTW, I grew up in Jackson, not far from you!

Status
Not open for further replies.