burntime

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pict

Sep 1, 2007
oklahoma
here's a question for you all: how long a burntime should an Osburn 2200 with 2.2 cuft firebox give, and what exactly is burntime?

I am sitting back with a cool one and am gonna love watching this.

Well I am burntime, of course :)

With good dry Oak I bet you get 8 hrs (give or take an hour) with that stove and I define burn time as burnt down to a good enough bed of coals to rake forward, throw more wood on, and it takes right off agian. Lots of variables and different definitions of burntime.

depends on when you light it, and how early you go to bed, and when you get up

Hanko that avatar is hilarious!!!

thats actually brother bart when I went to visit him last week

Hanko said:

Enjoyed the visit. Come back anytime. Leave the possum stew at home next time though. The dog is still throwing up.

way way too many variables. I ahve a 3.1cuft firebox. My manual says 12 hours. It is more like 9

Hanko said:

Love the new haircut, BB. Rick

My insert is 2.3 I think, burn time is from load until there are no coals to re-start. I get great heat for 4 hours and good heat for 3 or 4 hours, then warm for 2 hours. Real burntime for mine is probably around 9 hours with oak/hickory. If I use softer wood knock 2 hours off.

burntime said:
My insert is 2.3 I think, burn time is from load until there are no coals to re-start. I get great heat for 4 hours and good heat for 3 or 4 hours, then warm for 2 hours. Real burntime for mine is probably around 9 hours with oak/hickory. If I use softer wood knock 2 hours off.

What kind of stove?

Burntime is undefined. Mostly it's used as a marketing bullet point. I'm sure some measure it from the time of ignition until the last ember has dies out. That doesn't mean much when you're looking for heat.

Much more meaningful, and rarely if ever published is the period of meaningful heat that the stove produces. I would define that as the time from when the stove reaches about 300 deg on the stove top to the point where it returns to that temperature.

As others have indicated, there are many variables beyond the stove firebox capacity that will affect this. But with everything working right and with good wood, you may see ~6-8 hrs of meaningful heat from a well tended 2.2 cu ft stove. More often it will be ~4-6 hrs. After that, there may be hot coals, ready to start a new fire for another few hours.

I have a hampton HI300, same basic design as the regency I2400 with a different face(same parent company too) Its the one in my avatar.

burntime said:
I have a hampton HI300, same basic design as the regency I2400 with a different face(same parent company too) Its the one in my avatar.

Ok, couldn't make out your avatar and wasn't in your signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.