Burr Oak Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Just when I thought I was getting sick of scrounging and ready to buy csd, I get pulled back in. Neighbor had a big Burr Oak cut down and couldn't resist the easy score. The tree service cut it up into 4' sections, dumped it in my front yard and I took it from there. I still have to split and figure there's about 3/4 cord there. I've seen lots of good buys on Craigs list for Oak but when free stuff 100_1688.JPG falls in my lap I can't pass it up.

Reactions: onetracker
Nice score
Delivered & free is rare,
have fun splitting. :)

Your never done scrounging, your a scrounge addict like the rest of us. I thought I was done with my wood all stacked and racks full and Sat morning I hear a chainsaw, my ears perked up so I investigated, my neighbor was cutting down two trees so I offered to help, course I got rid of the wood for them, it never ends, you just get breaks.

Reactions: Thistle
Your never done scrounging, your a scrounge addict like the rest of us. I thought I was done with my wood all stacked and racks full and Sat morning I hear a chainsaw, my ears perked up so I investigated, my neighbor was cutting down two trees so I offered to help, course I got rid of the wood for them, it never ends, you just get breaks.

seriously weatherguy -

when i tell my wife that i'm 'finally done for 2014/15' she just shakes her head cuz she knows i'm full of shyte.

and: yeah if i ever stopped scrounging and just had wood delivered or moved to new mexico, i'd stihl figure out a way to use my saws to make chainsaw bears, mix cement or make daiquiri's or something

Yeah I admit I'm an addict but I'm slowly weening my way off scrounging full time. An easy score like this is hard to pass up but lately I've passed up scrounges that I usually jump at.

Congrats on that great score.Dont have much Bur Oak where I cut,maybe 10-15% of the total Oak supply but its the best one that grows around here.Same density as its cousin White Oak,sometimes a bit more even.

its the best one that grows around here.Same density as its cousin White Oak,sometimes a bit more even.
Yep, hard to pass up a White Oak score. I'm trying to talk myself out of one because there's a bit of crotch wood there with the 36" trunk. I know damn well I'm going to end up grabbing it all. ;lol

Nice score, with delivery. I haven't scrounged since January 1st! With all the easy wood from last year's storms and the mild winter, my 1/4 acre is at max capacity! I'm done until I start burning.

Congrats, Todd. That burr oak will keep you warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.