Busted up wood grenade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Several months back I queried about straighting up my busted up grenade. I promised pictures, but got distracted. Well, I finally remembered, so here it is...

Looks worse in person, and the bend actually makes it quite worthless as a splitting tool.

IMG_20180225_183939949.jpg
IMG_20180225_183939949.jpg
IMG_20180225_183928943.jpg
IMG_20180225_183915829.jpg
IMG_20180225_183901866.jpg
IMG_20180225_183845063.jpg

Every wood grenade I bought usually would fracture about 1 1/2" from the tip after a cord or 2 of usage. It isn't a durable product. I ended up grinding them but it isn't very sharp and only use them only as a last resort if my other wedges are stuck in the round.

If you can find one a twist wedge has the same star/diamond head and is more durable. A second choice would be an estwing wedge.

Other than cleaning up the mushroomed edges on top before they become shrapnel in your rib cage, I would use it as is. Maybe it is worse looking in person. I don't use wedges very often so grain of salt. Looks like it would clean up easily with a grinder and pound away.

i just took mine to the bench grinder and worked over into a usable piece again - don't use very often - the mall and my shoulder don't get along.

i just took mine to the bench grinder and worked over into a usable piece again - don't use very often - the mall and my shoulder don't get along.
I think I'll heat the bent tip and try to bang it straight. Then I'll grind the mushrooming down on the top with the grinder. It may still be a useful item, probably just as a backup should the other two fail to get the job done.