Buy a secong King ultra stove or spray foam everywhere?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Buy second stove or spray foam insulate

• King ultraWoodstove

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Closed cell spray foam

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2013
Dutchess county, NY
What benefit do you think i would see more? Spray foam entire house, walls, roof. Or get another blaze king ultra stove upstairs?

So after 3 years of using my king downstairs in my house i am thinking of what to do the folowing years. I think i have gathered enough data to see what I need. Stove burns execellent and no worries about it. Just gettign the heat upstaits is not very efficient. i have tried many different approaches and in the end i let natural convection do its job.

House is 3,000 sqaure feet

Stove is downstairs and keeps pretty much everywhere in the 80 degress when I do 24 hr burns. When the temps get well below 30 the temps downstairs will be 75 with a burn time of the same 24 hr.

Now my upstsirs will stay 70ish when the temps stay above 30 but when they get below temps start to vary, Depending on rooms i will see 70 down to 62. I out individual thermometers in each room tomgather data and the farthest room which is above the garage will get 62. The house upstairs has 2 zones and i set the coldest zone to 67 so my little one dont get cold at night. So with ine zone on upstairs the temps stay around 64-68 threw out the whole house. I only fill my oil tanks once a year i have (2) 265 galloon tanks.

So I spray foamed the garage cieling when i first bought the house with closed cell. Cost me around 2500 dollars :(

Srpay works but it is very expensive. Im also not sure of the real world results at the expense of probably 8 grand if not more. I mean it did help in the garage but not as much as i thought it would. Maybe it's cause inhave alot more air leaks.

Now my stove I got real world results the within 2 years of owning it. Keeping the whole downstairs at such a nice warm temp in winter would cost my a fortune in oil or gas. I think it cost me 400 bucks in wood for the whole winter.

what would you guys do?

Status
Not open for further replies.