buy seasoned cord of wood after a storm that hit the north east...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2008
northshore ma
I'm running out of wood fast and believe that a gentleman has a cord wood that can be delivered this saturday...however i am concerned todays storm with brought snow then freezing rain will ruin my chances of storing them directly into my garage to be burned right away...any thoughts to this guys.

thanks a bunch
dave

someone wrote fire wood is not a sponge - if the wood is truly seasoned there's nothing to worry about as it may just have surface moisture which will dry in a few days

I'd be far more concerned about the wood actually being seasoned... Chances are it's not. ;)

Well suppose you do luck out and it is seasoned. If it's just surface wet it should dry out on the hearth pretty fast. But yeah it's very hard to find seasoned wood this time of year...but hey if you buy wood you may as well start now.

I agree that this storm will not bother the wood. It definitely is not a sponge....unless it is already punky, then it will really soak up the water.

Simply leaving it out in the wind for one day will dry it. It should also dry right in your garage and, on your hearth.

Thanks all....I thought before he dumps the wood off I would inspect the wood prior to any additional wasted time...my only concern is not to get anyone mad at me for speculating...maybe if. I'm sure the tell tails of seasoned wood will help me decide whether or not it is seasoned enough to burn this for the remaining season.
I also just got a call from a buddy that has a brother inlaw that is giving me 6 cords of hard wood which will last me two seasons...some labor and renting a dump truck will be in order for this one.

Again thanks for the wealth of knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.