Buyer Beware! (Part 2)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buyer Beware! (Part 2)

Yesterday one of my customers posted this thread…. See my reply below.

I know we all try to support our local vendors when we can but when my auger motor went down last week I jumped on the internet looking for a less expensive motor than what the dealer/stealer wanted. I came across Jason Munson who sells pellet stove parts on Ebay and called his cell which he provides on his listings on Ebay to find out if he had the actual auger motor I needed for my unit. He called me late in the day on my way home from work and I pulled over to talk to him and he said he could get me that motor and it would take a few days to ship out which I understood. The motor came in quicker than expected but that was due to the fact that it is drop shipped from his supplier I believe.

Everything looked good except for the fact that my motor has a hole in the auger shaft for a cotter pin and his motor didn’t…..no biggie I’ll figure something out. I was able to swap out my motor shaft with his by taking the assembly apart. Like a 1st time fool I installed the motor without checking the rotation of the motor 1st. Well, of course I put the stove all back together and sealed up with silicone only to find out the auger motor is turning the wrong way! I got on the phone with Jason and asked him about reversing the rotation of the motor myself without sending it back and he said “it will significantly reduce the life of the motor by doing that†and that I needed to send it back for the right one. He tells me to email him the stove info again so he can email me a return form to fill out and to send him a tracking number so he can send out the correct motor….but I need to do it soon as he is leaving for a racquetball game!

I get the email the next day but when I try to print off the return form it locks up my printer…..I try a bunch of times and different ways and can’t get it to print. I email Jason and ask him to please fax it to me as I can’t seem to print it out and this is what I get from his “assistant†Loraine…..Sorry but we don’t have a fax currently available.

Wow…..really? no other solution like “I’ll mail it out to youâ€....or “we’ll just send the new motor with the form in the box, fill it out and send both of them back to usâ€........nope just “Sorry but we don’t have a fax currently availableâ€!

I’m sorry, but in my line of work being a service oriented company this is unacceptable! A customer has a pellet stove that is down in the middle of the winter and this is the best you can come up with? Now if I pitched a fit and made a big deal about it they might do something but it shouldn’t even have to get that far.

He had a few bad feed back on Ebay but so have other people I have dealt with and still had good results so I took a chance that I would have no problems.

My biggest complaint is lack of customer service and not getting it right the 1st time…...must have been late for his afternoon racquetball game that afternoon also when I first ordered it

So this is just a buyer beware about Jason Munson to you all here.

Oh and FYI, After doing more research I found another auger motor on Amazon from CSH Inc. for half of what I paid Jason and on the description page about the motor it tells you exactly how to reverse to motor yourself and nothing about any negative effects it may have on the motor by doing so….which I was skeptical about from the get go.

Stepping off my soap box now!

I couldn’t add my response to the thread but this is what I would like to say in reply.

Well its Jason Munson here and my face is a bit red from embarrassment over this situation. Let me take accountability for a few things. Number one it looks like the wrong part was sent out. Regardless of why, it’s my responsibility to make sure my customers get the right stuff.

Number two it looks like this didn’t get handled as quickly as it needed to for your satisfaction. Yes, we emailed you the form to send it back and yes you had a printer problem. Then we tried faxing it to you and we kept getting an error message saying your fax machine wouldn’t accept our fax. We could have just mailed it to you but Loraine went ahead and just arrange for you to send it back and we would deal with it on our end.

The form is very helpful for me to fix this stuff asap which is why I try to have you send it. It’s not meant to complicate anything. The intention is to get this fixed as quickly as possible. I’m sorry it turned out to be so frustrating.

I have setup this business so that I can service as many customers as possible. My assistant Loraine is a 31 year old single mom who works from her home. I have another company that supplies and ships all of my parts for me. I focus on answering the phone calls and technical support questions. The advertised phone number (530)-409-5051 is my personal cell phone number and yes I do answer it all the time even when it’s not convenient for me. In this instance a call took place as I was pulling into the parking lot at the gym. It would be really easy to just not take calls like that and let them go to voicemail. It would be even easier to have someone else answer the phone. How many stove shop owners give you their cell phone numbers? How many CEO’s of small businesses like mine advertise their cell numbers so the customers can talk to them directly rather than an employee?

The truth is I really do care about all of you out there and I want things to go right for you. I heat my house with a pellet stove too and I realize that a mistake on my end means your family could be going cold. I really try to think of how I would want to be treated if I were in your position and do my best to make sure you get the best possible service from me.

I wish I could say I have the process perfected but I don’t. When stuff like this happens the best I can do is to take care of it as quickly as possible and in the best way possible. I have team members to help me out as there is way too much for me to do and these people can make mistakes too which has made the problem worse in this instance.
David, this is my public apology to you for the trouble you have experienced. Forgive me for neglecting this situation to the extent that it has gone. I’m more than happy to refund your money or send you the correct part for free. If you would please respond on this forum or send me an email or call me with what you would like I’ll be more than happy to do it.

Best Wishes,

Jason Munson

Jason Munson said:
I couldn’t add my response to the thread but this is what I would like to say in reply.

Well its Jason Munson here and my face is a bit red from embarrassment over this situation. Let me take accountability for a few things. Number one it looks like the wrong part was sent out. Regardless of why, it’s my responsibility to make sure my customers get the right stuff.

Number two it looks like this didn’t get handled as quickly as it needed to for your satisfaction. Yes, we emailed you the form to send it back and yes you had a printer problem. Then we tried faxing it to you and we kept getting an error message saying your fax machine wouldn’t accept our fax. We could have just mailed it to you but Loraine went ahead and just arrange for you to send it back and we would deal with it on our end.

The form is very helpful for me to fix this stuff asap which is why I try to have you send it. It’s not meant to complicate anything. The intention is to get this fixed as quickly as possible. I’m sorry it turned out to be so frustrating.

I have setup this business so that I can service as many customers as possible. My assistant Loraine is a 31 year old single mom who works from her home. I have another company that supplies and ships all of my parts for me. I focus on answering the phone calls and technical support questions. The advertised phone number (530)-409-5051 is my personal cell phone number and yes I do answer it all the time even when it’s not convenient for me. In this instance a call took place as I was pulling into the parking lot at the gym. It would be really easy to just not take calls like that and let them go to voicemail. It would be even easier to have someone else answer the phone. How many stove shop owners give you their cell phone numbers? How many CEO’s of small businesses like mine advertise their cell numbers so the customers can talk to them directly rather than an employee?

The truth is I really do care about all of you out there and I want things to go right for you. I heat my house with a pellet stove too and I realize that a mistake on my end means your family could be going cold. I really try to think of how I would want to be treated if I were in your position and do my best to make sure you get the best possible service from me.

I wish I could say I have the process perfected but I don’t. When stuff like this happens the best I can do is to take care of it as quickly as possible and in the best way possible. I have team members to help me out as there is way too much for me to do and these people can make mistakes too which has made the problem worse in this instance.
David, this is my public apology to you for the trouble you have experienced. Forgive me for neglecting this situation to the extent that it has gone. I’m more than happy to refund your money or send you the correct part for free. If you would please respond on this forum or send me an email or call me with what you would like I’ll be more than happy to do it.

Best Wishes,

Jason Munson

Jason,

First off I want to say that I am happy that you came on here so this could be resolved.

As a business owner myself I understand the complexities of it all and will also admit I didn't handle this situation as I should have either. When things don't go the way you expect them to from the get go patience get lost and things are typed or said that after time you wish could be taken back.

I am very impressed with your follow through by coming here and offering to make things right, It is more than most would do given the situation. However, like I had emailed Loraine when she returned my email I told her that I had time to cool down and that I had reversed the motor and have also swapped out the shafts of the motor to work with my unit so I am back up and running and all is good! I don't see the need to do anything more, although I am very appreciative of your offer to make things right with either the correct part or a refund!

As far as your public apology I accept, and I also would like to apologize to you for the way I handled the situation and for not contacting you directly when things went sideways. As a business owner I should know better and not go by how I "feel" things are going turn out before they actually do. One of the biggest things that made it difficult was the time difference between the east coast and west coast and the delay in response when trying to handle a situation that seems to grow worse as the clock ticks by.....not an excuse, just one of the things that added stress and the time frame on how quickly things would or wouldn't be resolved in getting the unit back up and running.

Again, Thank You Jason.
Dave Lewis

Weeping...............that was beautiful.

Seriously, nice to see both sides man-up. Lessons here to be learned by all. :)

I don't know about anyone else, but I think it's time to move on from this subject.

Tom C.

Nice to see both sides come to an agreement. A great end result. Maybe a small edit to the original post would be in order, I don't know if it was closed or not!
EDIT: looks like it was closed, just as I thought from Jason's reply. Maybe Rick "fossil" can jump in on this one, so Jason has a way to respond on that original thread, or David can edit his post.

Looks like resolution to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.