Buying a Chain Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Heading out today to buy a chain saw and I am wondering what you guys think is satisfactory. I have been looking at a Stihl Farm Boss and Husqvarna 455 Rancher. I am trying to stay under $400.00.

Both are good saws. However, it really depends on the quantity you cut, size of what you cut and your expectations for productivity. There is a big difference when you go to the pro saws both in capabilities and unfortunately price.

You might have just opened a can of worms. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 1 person advises you to spend the $ 700.00 bucks for a MS-361! That seems to be popular advice. :)

Just purchased the farm boss two weeks ago and loving it. It has performed as bettor than I had expected with reducing some very large maple rounds. I also liked

the customer service available from the dealership as they also sell John Deere mowers. Another toy I want this year.

I would go with who you will get better service from. My 350 has been a great saw but my Stihl dealer is closer so wish I would've gone that way.

Of course, now that I'm a Dolmar convert, I think you should come to the light! <VBG>

I agree with Wendell. Go with the place you will get best service as either saw is excellent.

I bought my Stihl Farmboss 290 a few years ago and even with a 16" bar it does all I need it to do and isn't so heavy that it breaks the back either. It has been 100% trouble free so far although I now have to put on another new chain and sprocket, that is normal wear and tear. Others in this area have similar Stihl and every one has been satisfied. We also have an excellent dealer which helps a lot.

jlow said:
Heading out today to buy a chain saw and I am wondering what you guys think is satisfactory. I have been looking at a Stihl Farm Boss and Husqvarna 455 Rancher. I am trying to stay under $400.00.

I know lots of guys with 290s (including me) and the only people I ever hear running them down are non-290 owners on this site.

EDIT - I've cut between 6-12 cord a year for 6-7 years with my 290. Zero problems.

I have been studying these same 2 saws ,seems both are praised by their owners,probably go with the Stihl simply because there are 4 dealers within a 15 mile radius.

jlow said:

I have a 455 Rancher. I like it, but it is bigger and heavier than the Husqvarna 350. I friend has the 350 and I think it performs as well as the 455 (much cheaper too). No problems with my 455.

Thanks for all the info. I went with the Stihl 310 18" for two reasons. The first was that the local dealer is 2 miles down the road and he also lets me take all the pallets I want and he always has a ton. Second being that my wife is German. I add that the owner gave me the 18" for the 16" price (399.00). I have included some photos of my first project this afternoon. My neighbor across the street had this downed back in July of last year and I asked him if he wanted it removed and he agreed. My one question is these big pieces are too heavy to move. Can I even use the splitter or must I maul them down to size? Any opinions?

Attachments

• DSC03960.JPG
    DSC03960.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 492
  • DSC03962.JPG
    DSC03962.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 500
  • DSC03961.JPG
    DSC03961.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 504
jlow, I cut lots of those this winter and lifted every one of them alone. Of course I only had to lift to waist height but it isn't so bad. On the big ones, put one right next to the trailer or whatever you are using to haul. Then roll the rest up to that one, lift it onto the first one you set there and then finish by either lifting or rolling into trailer. It really is easier than it sounds.

Of course you can also use some planks and roll them up onto the trailer, or you can split them right there. Ash splits easy if there are no knots. Two whacks per round and you don't have to lift as much.

That was a nice find!

CTburns said:
You might have just opened a can of worms. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 1 person advises you to spend the $ 700.00 bucks for a MS-361! That seems to be popular advice. :)

i happen to like 361s but they are a lot cheaper than 700.00, 310 would be a good choice, there is no bad stihl

jlow said:
Thanks for all the info. I went with the Stihl 310 18" for two reasons. The first was that the local dealer is 2 miles down the road and he also lets me take all the pallets I want and he always has a ton. Second being that my wife is German. I add that the owner gave me the 18" for the 16" price (399.00). I have included some photos of my first project this afternoon. My neighbor across the street had this downed back in July of last year and I asked him if he wanted it removed and he agreed. My one question is these big pieces are too heavy to move. Can I even use the splitter or must I maul them down to size? Any opinions?

Dolmers are German made, FWIW.

Nearest Dolmar Sales & Service is 30 miles away. I opted for local guy who carries only Stihl and by Stihl's rules must service them onsite. The owner is a nice guy and we were glad to give him the business.

Sthil and Dolmar are at least concentrating on mainly high end saws and nothing else. Not knocking huskys as I have an older one myself but it seems to me they have there finger in the pie everywhere else. They are involved in McCulloch, Pulan,Partner,(Johnsred) witch I like and many others.

You really cant go wrong with ether saw . I have the farm boss and a friend has the rancher .
You could get a husky at home cheepo . I think they are about the same as the HO saws from a dealer . The commercial saws are built better and lighter but cost more . I have a small commercial climbers saw with a 16" bar, it nice for limbs. John

You know, I have an 034 and an 026, but was thinking of getting a 361. Before I ever wear it out the parts will be nowhere to be found. I think this is why they have home owner saws. Most won't wear it out anyway and by then it has cut so much wood we are glad to buy another one. I used to think buying pro saws were the only way to go but if parts get hard to find in 10 years what's the point?

ihookem said:
You know, I have an 034 and an 026, but was thinking of getting a 361. Before I ever wear it out the parts will be nowhere to be found. I think this is why they have home owner saws. Most won't wear it out anyway and by then it has cut so much wood we are glad to buy another one. I used to think buying pro saws were the only way to go but if parts get hard to find in 10 years what's the point?
you can always find a parts saw, and sthil pro saw dont change much at all

Ok, I will buy a 361. It is 579 plus tax.

jlow said:

Tip them over on their side and start making noodles. This works best when the bar can cut all the way through the round.

I'm stupid!! What do you mean cutting it into noodles?

Ripping along the grain, as opposed to cross-cutting. Noodles vs. chips. Try it and you'll immediately understand. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.