Buying a Pacific Energy Stove - Looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
go with the summit, you will not be dissappointed. The mid sized 27/spectrum would be okay for you if you were doing @ 1500 sgft, but for more than that, you need the big dawg... We heat a 1700 sqft house w/ the summit in Maine, and when jan/feb weather hits -10 I'm glad I have it and not the more "appropriatly" sized super series.

+1 for Summit. Our Nap 1450 (2 cu ft) struggled to keep our house warm at night when the temps dropped.

The basic needs for my PE insert were 1500 SF of a 2000 SF house (the other 500 is an accessory apartment). Center chimney, pretty tight house (found someleaks this winter, gonna work on those). OHW for the apartment & main house HW. I was good to go.

Lost the oil burner for 3 days at the coldest temps we had in January, and pushed the Pacific to heat the entire house. The main part was 68 at 0. The apartment was 60.

I am now considering a small stove for the apartment ( and an electric hot water heater >:-( ).

Go with the bigger stove, and don't look back.

Just got a quote on a Summit, all black with on a pedestal and no ash pan, $2000.00 or Nickle trim door, ash pan and blower for $2650.00 plus tax. Thoughts?

SKIN052 said:
Just got a quote on a Summit, all black with on a pedestal and no ash pan, $2000.00 or Nickle trim door, ash pan and blower for $2650.00 plus tax. Thoughts?
I would think that is about right, I was quoted 3050 for a red one with all black trim and blower, I whined and he dropped it to 2700.

Skip the ash pan.

BeGreen said:
Skip the ash pan.

Why?, again, I am not familiar with new EPA stoves. I am used to the old stoves that all the ash fell to the bottom of the ash pan anyway. If I install an ash pan would I just have to rake them into it anyway?

SKIN052 said:
BeGreen said:
Skip the ash pan.

Why?, again, I am not familiar with new EPA stoves. I am used to the old stoves that all the ash fell to the bottom of the ash pan anyway. If I install an ash pan would I just have to rake them into it anyway?

The ash pan is small, messy, and is just another place that if not sealed correctly, will let additional combustion air in , making the fire harder to control.
Its just as easy to scoop/shovel the ashes from the floor and into an ash pan, put a lid on and take outside and rest on a non combustible surface, and away from any other combustible surface.
Its just not worth the added mess & cost.

Yup, it's design is poor and pretty useless. Comes standard on the Alderlea, but I would not pay extra for it. We don't use it at all. Can't say it's worthless as it might make someone a nice bun warmer. :)

Hogwildz said:
The ash pan is small, messy, and is just another place that if not sealed correctly, will let additional combustion air in , making the fire harder to control.
Its just as easy to scoop/shovel the ashes from the floor and into an ash pan, put a lid on and take outside and rest on a non combustible surface, and away from any other combustible surface.
Its just not worth the added mess & cost.

Second that, and the blower can be added on yourself if you decide you need it. Just have a power outlet within 6 feet

On the PE site it says the ash pan on the summit is standard.

Pain in the ash!!! Not really if you ask me, but what do I know.

oldspark said:
On the PE site it says the ash pan on the summit is standard.

It's standard on the Summit Classic, but optional on the Summit pedestal model.

I like the look of the pedestal a bit more plus I have 2 large dogs that will cause a bunch of fur to fly around under there anyway. I went to talk to the guy today about the stove and guess what, closed on a Saturday!!! What business closes on a Saturday? I know it's off season but come on!!!

Made the plunge today. Ordered the PE Summit, should be here in a week or so. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Pics will come but they will take a while, not installing till later this summer.

SKIN052 said:
Made the plunge today. Ordered the PE Summit, should be here in a week or so. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Pics will come but they will take a while, not installing till later this summer.
Cool I hope you like yours as that means I will like mine. :)

The ashpan is not necessary. They run best with about an inch of ash or more in the bottom anyway, and it does not accumulate fast. I empty mine with a shovel into a metal ash bucket, about 1-2 empties per cord of wood burned.

dougstove said:
The ashpan is not necessary. They run best with about an inch of ash or more in the bottom anyway, and it does not accumulate fast. I empty mine with a shovel into a metal ash bucket, about 1-2 empties per cord of wood burned.
Very impressive, I was expecting much more dumping. Why does it work better with a little ash in the bottom? I am the type of guy that would have probably been cleaning that thing once a day.

dougstove said:
I think the ash bed contributes to insulating the combustion layer and keeping it hot; it also seems to change the air flow properties a bit.

Plus, you aren't creating too much heat on the floor of the stove, cracking the brick or warping the grate, depending on what your stove has.

Status
Not open for further replies.