Buying a splitter, quick Q before I pull the trigger.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

motoguy

Burning Hunk
Jan 7, 2015
Central MO
I'm looking for a bit of help choosing a wood splitter. According to Daryl, our Kuuma Vapor Fire 100 will be finished by the end of the month, and we'll be installing it in the downstairs area of our home. We are planning to be primarily wood heat for decades to come.

I am unfamiliar with the types of wood in our area...I'm located near the Lake of the Ozarks, in central MO. Oak, Hickory, Elm, etc would be my suspects. I've got a couple of trees down now that are approaching 36" rounds, so I want to plan on a machine that will split those. I don't plan on cutting stuff that I can't get down with my Stihl 028, w/ 18" bar (might put a 20" on it). However, that doesn't limit me much in my area. I do not yet know our needs, but I'll speculate it'll be 4-8 cord/year to heat our 4k square foot, walkout-basement home.

I've been reading for a while. I've looked at the kinetics (SuperSplit, RapidFire, RapidSplit, etc) as well as hydro units (Timberwolf, and the various box-store brands such as DHT, Troy Bilt, Ariens, etc). I don't think I want a kenetic, as 1) this is for residential use, so slower split time is fine 2) I likely couldn't make most efficient use of such a split time, 3) my young kids will likely be helping, and I view the slower hydro cycle time as safer, and 4) I'd be concerned about getting a piece of size/density that the kinetic can't split. I also have some longevity concerns with all but the SuperSplit, and it's out of my price range.

So, I'm looking at Hydro. The Timberwolf looks great..except for the price. I know, "if you're buying long-term, buy once, cry once". Still...I just can't justify the need for "Cadillac" of splitters, when an Impala will get the same thing accomplished, with much less expense. I'm a "bang for the buck" kinda guy...I bought 3 used Stihl 028s, vs 1 new 361.

I think I'm looking at box-store splitters (or that price range). I've come across good feedback about the DHT 28T and 35T units. I know the 35T has a slightly lower cycle time (and I understand the 28T is fast for it's category), but I'd rather know I can split everything. I think I'd cuss myself if I stalled out the 28T, but likely won't cuss myself at the slightly slower 35T. 10.5 vs 12.5 seconds. As of this moment, the 35T DHT for $1799 is my current top pick, with 4-way (whether DHT's, or another).

I'm coming here to see if anyone has a strong reason why I SHOULDN'T go with that unit, or suggestions on why a different unit would be a better choice. It doesn't seem the DHT is of significantly higher quality than any other Chinese/box store unit, but their customer service appears to be top notch. That has swayed me towards DHT.

Suggestions, input, or advice (aside from "spend $5k on a splitter)?

Many members here including myself have found that a 22ton unit can pretty much take care of anything you throw at it.
Since your going with larger rounds (+26") you may want to find a horizontal / vertical unit, quarter in vertical then flip to horizontal for final split size.
There are many good units out there that are in a price range of $900.00 - $2,400.00
I elected to go with a iron and oak 20ton fast cycle, to me the Honda gx motor and cycle time was important and 7 seconds from cradle to cradle helps with processing, but I run at a different pace, other members swear by the tractor supply 22ton units and they have pics to prove it.
Sometimes the "bigger tonnage" units are to much machine for what you want to accomplish, but it really just comes down to what you like.

As of this moment, the 35T DHT for $1799 is my current top pick, with 4-way (whether DHT's, or another).
Watch with those 4-ways - you will get a lot of smaller split sizes. The 4-way only allows for a certain size between the wedge and beam, when mounted on the actual hydraulic piston

Reactions: JRHAWK9
I'm hoping you aren't planning on burning the wood this year you are just splitting now.

BTW, the Kuuma will not burn 8 cords a year, it's pretty much impossible to do....unless you are burning all out for a full 7 months out of the year.

I have a Speeco 28 ton and I like it a lot.

I have a similar sized Speeco, never ran into a log I couldn't split, or at least turn into pressed wood mash on the gnarly crotches.

Reactions: wpgibson
I have a Speeco (huskee from TSC) 22 ton. It's been great and has handled everything I've thrown at it with ease. Slightly lighter to push around, a little smaller to store, and all the power I need....

Reactions: whatsgnu
I spend more time moving/respositioning logs than I do splitting, so don't sweat 10.5 vs 12.5 cycle time. That being said, the 28 ton will be plenty strong enough.

Of the DHT splitters, I think I would opt for the 28T unit. Plenty of push, nice speed and versatility. The 35T unit is basically the same specs as my splitter (pump and cylinder) and yes, I wish it was a bit faster. When playing with big rounds (I split horizontal with a log lifter), I want that ram to hit the log as fast as I can make it happen.

.I bought 3 used Stihl 028s, vs 1 new 361
You should have bought the 361.;)

I'm hoping you aren't planning on burning the wood this year you are just splitting now.

BTW, the Kuuma will not burn 8 cords a year, it's pretty much impossible to do....unless you are burning all out for a full 7 months out of the year.

I have a Speeco 28 ton and I like it a lot.

Since I won't be burning this wood for another month or so, I think it should be fine.

:p No, this stuff will be used next year (or later). Unfortunately, we'll have to purchase our wood for this year. I've already got several cord cut for next year (and beyond). They need split, though.

I'm curious to see how much the Kuuma burns. I've hopeful that my expectations of adequate heat in the home, from wood only, are realistic. Last year (first winter in the home...we moved in December) we supplemented the propane furnace with the Avalon Arbor stove located downstairs. It took me a while to figure out how to run it (my last woodburning experience was the old King in my parent's home, 20+ years ago), but once I figured it out, I was pleased with the output. A PITA, though, to fiddle with the controls until it started afterburning...one reason my wife is so happy at the idea of the Kuuma!

We went through 5 or so (guessing) cord with the Arbor. I'm sure my learning curve on the stove didn't help that usage. It's too small to heat the whole home, but I think it assisted in lowering our propane usage. I know the upstairs floors felt much warmer, while that little stove was going downstairs!

Watch with those 4-ways - you will get a lot of smaller split sizes. The 4-way only allows for a certain size between the wedge and beam, when mounted on the actual hydraulic piston

Yeah, I'm aware that there will be certain physical limitations, but I think the adjustable wedges will let me create some adequate splits.

I have an ariens 27t with a Subaru motor. I had home Depot online price match it for 1299. Put 6 cords of wood through it this year, no problems. Id say that the 22t ariens is fine too. U will have to wheel these around manually and I have a gator to pull mine, but the they get heavy. It's nice to get one that does vertical and horizontal too so you aren't picking up huge rounds

I'm in the same boat, but I found a 22ton "Dirty Hand Tools" splitter to borrow. the 22 ton has really done well for splitting the tough stuff (huge pieces of knotty oak); and the speed is just right.

have the
I have an ariens 27t with a Subaru motor. I had home Depot online price match it for 1299. Put 6 cords of wood through it this year, no problems. Id say that the 22t ariens is fine too. U will have to wheel these around manually and I have a gator to pull mine, but the they get heavy. It's nice to get one that does vertical and horizontal too so you aren't picking up huge rounds[/QUOTE

Just bought the 27 ton unit from Home Depot myself. I'm not happy about your price match comment, as I paid full price for mine! LOL!
Regardless, very happy, first time splitter / stove owner

I'm looking for a bit of help choosing a wood splitter. According to Daryl, our Kuuma Vapor Fire 100 will be finished by the end of the month, and we'll be installing it in the downstairs area of our home. We are planning to be primarily wood heat for decades to come.

I am unfamiliar with the types of wood in our area...I'm located near the Lake of the Ozarks, in central MO. Oak, Hickory, Elm, etc would be my suspects. I've got a couple of trees down now that are approaching 36" rounds, so I want to plan on a machine that will split those. I don't plan on cutting stuff that I can't get down with my Stihl 028, w/ 18" bar (might put a 20" on it). However, that doesn't limit me much in my area. I do not yet know our needs, but I'll speculate it'll be 4-8 cord/year to heat our 4k square foot, walkout-basement home.

I've been reading for a while. I've looked at the kinetics (SuperSplit, RapidFire, RapidSplit, etc) as well as hydro units (Timberwolf, and the various box-store brands such as DHT, Troy Bilt, Ariens, etc). I don't think I want a kenetic, as 1) this is for residential use, so slower split time is fine 2) I likely couldn't make most efficient use of such a split time, 3) my young kids will likely be helping, and I view the slower hydro cycle time as safer, and 4) I'd be concerned about getting a piece of size/density that the kinetic can't split. I also have some longevity concerns with all but the SuperSplit, and it's out of my price range.

So, I'm looking at Hydro. The Timberwolf looks great..except for the price. I know, "if you're buying long-term, buy once, cry once". Still...I just can't justify the need for "Cadillac" of splitters, when an Impala will get the same thing accomplished, with much less expense. I'm a "bang for the buck" kinda guy...I bought 3 used Stihl 028s, vs 1 new 361.

I think I'm looking at box-store splitters (or that price range). I've come across good feedback about the DHT 28T and 35T units. I know the 35T has a slightly lower cycle time (and I understand the 28T is fast for it's category), but I'd rather know I can split everything. I think I'd cuss myself if I stalled out the 28T, but likely won't cuss myself at the slightly slower 35T. 10.5 vs 12.5 seconds. As of this moment, the 35T DHT for $1799 is my current top pick, with 4-way (whether DHT's, or another).

I'm coming here to see if anyone has a strong reason why I SHOULDN'T go with that unit, or suggestions on why a different unit would be a better choice. It doesn't seem the DHT is of significantly higher quality than any other Chinese/box store unit, but their customer service appears to be top notch. That has swayed me towards DHT.

Suggestions, input, or advice (aside from "spend $5k on a splitter)?

Hello,
Very new to the forums and to the stove/ splitter scene. However, I bought the Ariens 27 ton unit from Home Depot, as well. Not much research on my end, but it was an Ariens and the biggest one they had :)
I have some 36" rounds of oak as well. I brought one home whole and it was a bear gto handle, but I got it through my splitter fairly simply, other then the struggle with the weight, initially. However, the next couple I brought home, I quartered, wit ha chain saw, them to make them easier for me to handle. worked out well.

I have a speeco 22 ton splitter. I've split every type of wood imaginable, probably 20 full cord in total. I've never met a log that it wouldn't split. 35 ton seems so unnecessary to me. Shoot, I wouldn't even buy a 27-28 ton. I'd save the money to put towards a professional grade saw :)

Reactions: Jazzberry
My new Ariens 22 ton splitter was too wimpy to split a 28-30" ash round last week. I ended up having to "nibble" pieces out of it from the edge. The round in question was pretty twisted wood, but I was still disappointed to see the wedge stop moving. I even tried rotating the round several times to different areas of the round with the same problem. I finally found a section of the round weak enough for the splitter to start breaking it up. It should be noted that their specs say that it can handle a 25" diameter piece of wood (but it doesn't specify what type of wood). Ariens' 27 and 34 ton units also have the same 25" wood diameter rating.

This is the same splitter that had a threaded fitting that kept coming loose between the control valve & hydraulic cylinder. Ariens sent me a replacement part last month that seems to be working OK so far. It's also the same 2 month old splitter that burst the low pressure (return) line close to where it attaches to the oil filter. It burst, puking oil onto the ground, after I'd had the splitter for about 6 weeks, and had split a couple cords of wood. I cut out the bad section & attached it to the nipple.

Needless to say, I'm not too impressed with the Ariens splitter's durability or performance. It is more compact (narrower) than some of the other 22 ton units, and as a result, fits in my smaller storage shed.

I know the 35T has a slightly lower cycle time (and I understand the 28T is fast for it's category), but I'd rather know I can split everything. I think I'd cuss myself if I stalled out the 28T, but likely won't cuss myself at the slightly slower 35T.
If you stall out a 28 ton splitter, you have really done something! I have had a 23 ton for 4-5 years now, run probably 20 cord through it, I can count one one hand the number of times I stalled 'er out on a chunk. Most of the time it was on a ugly piece that there would have been no graceful way of splitting anyways. And I usually don't get the nice straight lumber grade trees either, usually twisty, crotchety, fence row junk...
My neighbor has the DHT, he likes it. I used it a couple times, seems to work fine but I didn't like the position of the valve handle, if it were mine I'd change that right away.
Is it really the end of the world if you have a piece that won't split once or twice a year? Get the 28 ton, you'll like it.

Update on my 2 month old Ariens 22 ton splitter....while pulling it out of the shed today, I found a puddle of hydraulic oil under the splitter.

The oil filter had apparently vibrated loose the last time I used it.

Color me less than impressed. Two months in service....loose hydraulic fitting, burst hydraulic hose, loose oil filter, inadequate performance on 28-30" ash rounds. Way to go, Ariens!

I got the 20 ton predator from harbor freight. So far it has run through about 7 cords, I haven't met a log it can't split. And that is at half throttle with no real cycle time. The trick is to run the wedge into the round until an inch or so beyond the back end of the wedge. Grab the wood, most of the time little force will pull the wood apart, flip any splits that need another pass over the wedge, or drop a new round on and run the wedge back. Most of the time I'm only running back and forth a foot or so in the middle.
Thanks to the double action wedge my splitting rate is faster.
I use a ramp to roll any rounds too big to lift up onto the work tables.
I got mine for $650 with a great coupon.

Last edited:
I have a Speeco (huskee from TSC) 22 ton. It's been great and has handled everything I've thrown at it with ease. Slightly lighter to push around, a little smaller to store, and all the power I need....

Same here. Been very happy, and have yet to find a piece I couldn't noodle down, including big oak and hickory. On the rare occasion I find it really laboring, I usually reposition and find an easier path to split. It's rare though, as I've been impressed how it plows through the gnarliest knots.

Update on my 2 month old Ariens 22 ton splitter....while pulling it out of the shed today, I found a puddle of hydraulic oil under the splitter.

The oil filter had apparently vibrated loose the last time I used it.

Color me less than impressed. Two months in service....loose hydraulic fitting, burst hydraulic hose, loose oil filter, inadequate performance on 28-30" ash rounds. Way to go, Ariens!

Did Ariens actually build that splitter or is it an MTD? I'm fairly sure the DHT and Countyline models are all built by Speeco.

It's likely Ariens wasn't directly responsible for those issues. Lots of splitters available in BB stores have FINAL ASSEMBLY in the individual store, so quality control is as good as the person assembling it where you bought it. I'm not excusing the system Ariens and others have in place, but I put more blame on the incompetence or inadequate training of the BB store employee who assembled it.

Last edited:
Did Ariens actually build that splitter or is it an MTD? I'm fairly sure the DHT and Countyline models are all built by Speeco.

Ariens built it.

It's likely Ariens wasn't directly responsible for those issues. Lots of splitters available in BB stores have FINAL ASSEMBLY in the individual store, so quality control is as good as the person assembling it where you bought it. I'm not excusing the system Ariens and others have in place, but I put more blame on the incompetence or inadequate training of the BB store employee who assembled it.

Judging from the "Setup Instructions" published by Ariens ( http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/02/02f4d281-84a4-496b-8d70-1397c6fc59f4.pdf ), the unit is shipped to Home Depot crated and strapped to a pallet. As shipped from Ariens, the oil filter is already attached to the splitter. The control valve is already attached to the hydraulic cylinder. The hydraulic hoses are already attached to the splitter.

With the exception of the hitch draw bar being barely attached to the splitter by Home Depot (the nuts for the 4 bolts holding things together were only finger tight), all loose fittings/filters were the direct fault/responsibility of Ariens, not Home Depot.

As I've communicated to Ariens' Chief Operating Officer, I've been very happy with the Ariens snowblower I've owned & used for the past 12-13 years. I deliberately chose to pay a premium over other locally available 22 ton splitters (including Huskee & Dirty Hand Tools) for build quality and support after-the-sale.

In the case of my 22 ton splitter, Ariens FAILED to meet my basic expectations as a customer. My brand new splitter continues to show new & interesting failures every month or two. This is not why I bought an Ariens product, and encourage others to think about alternatives to Ariens based on my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.