buying a splitting ax

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's personal preference. Some like shorter/longer handles, lighter/heavier heads, wood/fiberglass handles, different head shapes.

With all that being said, check out the Fiskars X25 or the longer Fiskars X27. Very popular.

Got the X25 and regretting it. Should have went with the longer handle for those times you don't have a splitting stump.

RORY12553 said:
Got the X25 and regretting it. Should have went with the longer handle for those times you don't have a splitting stump.

+1

I'm 6'0" and the X27 fits me much better.

Got a double head ax for 12.99 put a curved handle on it and it splits everything but I still want a fiskars after using my neighbors!
Pete

woodywoodchucker said:
How do you get the right sized ax?

Depends on how tall you are to some extent. If you're tall and have a short handle on the axe you risk smacking your shin or foot if you miss the round. Not good...

I'm 6'1" and the Fiskars X-27 works great for me. More leverage with a longer handle too.

Status
Not open for further replies.