buying a stove in Winter or Summer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveid01

Feb 14, 2014
nor cal
Hi,
I am looking at buying my first wood pellet stove and I am either going with a quad Classic bay Insert or a Harmon p35i for a 1600 sqft 1 level home. I was wondering how much cheaper the stoves would actually be in the summer as oppose to right now? They have 200 doallar rebates on them till the end of this month and was wondering if history shows of more than a $200 markdown usually happens in summer. My local dealer said they haven't changed their store pricing since last winter and they have the same price currently that they had this summer.

Thank you

new Harmans are price fixed and dealers are only allowed to sell 10% below MSRP. Generally speaking there isn't a whole lot of variance in the prices throughout the year. I bought my P35i during the summer as I didn't want to install it during winter.

I have a Harmen p35i and love it !!! Not once have I had turn on the oil thermostat on to help heat the house 1900sf

Used prices really take the hit in spring summer. I only bought one stove , the Elena in the winter and that was because its owner had been given a more appropriate stove so wanted it out of the way.

Hi,
I am looking at buying my first wood pellet stove and I am either going with a quad Classic bay Insert or a Harmon p35i for a 1600 sqft 1 level home. I was wondering how much cheaper the stoves would actually be in the summer as oppose to right now? They have 200 doallar rebates on them till the end of this month and was wondering if history shows of more than a $200 markdown usually happens in summer. My local dealer said they haven't changed their store pricing since last winter and they have the same price currently that they had this summer.

Thank you
The biggest Harman discount I've seen is $250, regardless of time of year. I bought my P61 with $100 off though. I wasn't waiting more months than I did already and face another oil fill up. With my tank costing $650 to $700 and up to fill, I thought the stove is available, I'm buying it and installing it that week, not next month. And so that was that.

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like Harman is the way to go. The coupon they have is on their website for 200 off the insert so im looking at 2500 I think plus tax. It sounds like can has the highest priced pellets though. The cheapest I see around here is $4.98 a bag.

Thanks again

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like Harman is the way to go. The coupon they have is on their website for 200 off the insert so im looking at 2500 I think plus tax. It sounds like can has the highest priced pellets though. The cheapest I see around here is $4.98 a bag.

Thanks again
You're lucky, there is no such thing as pellets for under $5.00 around here. Good pellets range from $6.50 to $8.50 a bag ( LaCrete, LG and Pointe for instance) . The best pellets top shelf pellets ( DF) more like $9.00 or $9.50 and the HD variety ( Stove Chow and Fireside) $5.80ish with their 1% ash and low heat output as well. Although in a Harman they still heat the house, you notice the difference in stove output with better pellets. Less ramping up, clearer and brighter looking flame, less ash, less pot scraping.

Harmans will burn any pellet made just about, it's just a matter of how often you want to tend to cleanings.

Thanks again

4.98 a bag is good. If your worried about that being to much how are u going to feel about 6 plus around here. If u have to pay that..

Status
Not open for further replies.