Buying a Tandem Axle Trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sloeffle

Minister of Fire
Mar 1, 2012
Central Ohio
Looking to buy a tandem axle car hauler type trailer to haul hay, livestock ( with a livestock rack ) and various other things. I have been looking at Gatormade and PJ trailers. I have a 3/4 ton truck and was planning on getting a model with dual braking 5k axles since a decent load of hay would be too much weight for a dual axle 3k trailer.

Is there anything build wise that separates a good trailer from a bad trailer ? Both trailers I am looking at seem to be well built, have similar options but one costs 3k and the other costs 2.5k.

Scott

I would suggest a 5th wheel unit for what you intend. Much more stable when a full load on it. 5k on a trailer type hitch when fully loaded and gets to a bit of swaying or rocking and that truck is going to be getting tossed around some . Just speaking from experience and I have both a 3/4 and a 1 ton both are single rear wheel units. My trailer is just what you are describing 5k unit- Road Warrior is the brand name. Other than that I am not familiar with the brands you spoke of but look underneath and see if it is painted there, some do some don't. another issue when you go to pick up what ever you get check the tires , both sides, one of mine had a bubble in the side wall, got lucky caught it before I left the lot and had it replaced right then. Those tires will give you sticker shock.

Look fir self adjusting brakes, the type you go in reverse and brake to adjust to get the proper settings. Also get a spare tire too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My buddy keeps telling me to get a goose neck. I am not sure I am ready to make that jump yet. I'll have to look and see home much they cost. Was hoping to keep the cost under 3K

Both trailers have self adjusting brakes, and radial tires. A spare tire is $130, I was planning on getting one of those also.

better be checking the load rating on those tires. That cost factor doesn't jive.

better be checking the load rating on those tires. That cost factor doesn't jive.
He said they knock $30 off a spare tire when you guy a trailer. I believe he said they were 8 ply 16" radial tires. The Gatormade web sites shows a picture of the tire ( 3k / 5 lug axle ) and they look to be the taskmaster brand. Not sure if they are a good brand or not.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I bought a Kaufman car hauler for "general use" several years back. I used it mostly for wood hauling and the occasional dirt bike gang. It was a great trailer and I ultimately sold it for about what I paid for it 5+ years later.

They also have a great website showing all the options they offer. Might be worth a look.

I like welded on side rails for my use. Most car haulers don't have those. They're handy for keeping equipment secure and as tie-downs. Weight distribution matters too. If the axles are placed too far forward its hard to get enough tongue weight to get a stable ride on the road. A nice, quick-adjust jack is also nice. The type you screw up and down with a rotating handle work but it seems I've wasted a lot of time cranking on those. LED lights are great too. Get a spare as someone said and having it mounted on the trailer is nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.