Buying a Timberwolf Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author="Gooserider" date="1252661093"]Technically speaking, according to everything I've seen on hydraulic design theory, you should NOT put a multi-way wedge on a moving wedge splitter (such as an H/V unit, though I've seen Horizontal only units w/ wedges on the ram) The theory is that if you get a gnarly chunk you can put some non-linear twisting and bending forces on the cylinder which will cause increased seal wear and shorten it's life. Doubtful. The wedge is supported by the plates it rides on. They limit any lifting and or twisting.There is also the potential for the wedge following the grain on a split and jamming it between the rail and the wedge, again w/ problematic results...Not really, if it is a slip on like mine the wdge has the ability to "ride up" as it follows the grain.
I did try to post a picture of my wedge as requested however I don't have a program on this computer to reduce its size. I made a video and posted it to you tube if there is interest I can provide the link.

I would go with the hydro log life and skip the verticle deal. My buddy has a TW-5 and it is sweet..Put it this way, buy one now with the idea that you will still be splitting when your older. the hydraulic log lift is worth every penny

clarkharms said:
Gooserider said:
Technically speaking, according to everything I've seen on hydraulic design theory, you should NOT put a multi-way wedge on a moving wedge splitter (such as an H/V unit, though I've seen Horizontal only units w/ wedges on the ram) The theory is that if you get a gnarly chunk you can put some non-linear twisting and bending forces on the cylinder which will cause increased seal wear and shorten it's life. Doubtful. The wedge is supported by the plates it rides on. They limit any lifting and or twisting.There is also the potential for the wedge following the grain on a split and jamming it between the rail and the wedge, again w/ problematic results...Not really, if it is a slip on like mine the wdge has the ability to "ride up" as it follows the grain.
I did try to post a picture of my wedge as requested however I don't have a program on this computer to reduce its size. I made a video and posted it to you tube if there is interest I can provide the link.
Try http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ - nice little online utility - send the picture up, tell them what size you want it, pull the resized picture back down...

There are also a bunch of different programs you can download for different operating systems that do the same thing and more... On my Linux box, I run Digikam, which is a nice photo manager, stores all my pictures, and lets me do all sorts of modifications on them, including cropping and resizing. BTW, IMHO the best size for most photos is 640x480 - almost all boards that let you upload will take that size, and it's a good compromise between being big enough to see detail, and small enough to download quickly.

The other option is to use one of the online photo places like PhotoBucket, to stick the picture there, and then just post a link to it here.

Gooserider

pilot-werx said:
So after much research I have decided to go the route of a Timberwolf.

However, I am stuck on which model to get. Right now I am trying decide between the TW-2 or the TW-HV2. I like the fact that on the TW-2 you can add the 4-way splitting head, log lifter and table.... I like the TW-HV2 because it can vertical... So, the million dollar question... What would be the best route to go... Is the 4-way more desirable than being able to split vertically???

Thanks for the input!

I went with the American CLS Vertical/Horizontal log splitter and use it Vertical when splitting, when I have a split thats to big (I didn't split correctly the first time) I split Horizontal.

Zap

LOL Watch your toes!

Unlike many slip-on 4-ways I've seen, your horizontal is only beveled on the top side. Did you make it or buy it?

LLigetfa said:
LOL Watch your toes!

Unlike many slip-on 4-ways I've seen, your horizontal is only beveled on the top side. Did you make it or buy it?
Made it

Status
Not open for further replies.