Buying a Used HearthStone Heritage - What to look for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tekguy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2009
west mass
Considering a used Hearthstone Heritage at a decent price, guy doesn't know what year it is but says it was in house when he bought the place 10 years ago and looked like new than and he barely ever uses it. Any specifics I need to know when I check it out? This would be a 6" flue, correct?

Can anyone tell form pic about what year it is?
3E83K63J35L25K65M8d2l7e8bc2e87db11125.jpg

I forgot the open ended question, how well does this heat? I have 1900 square feet and its a little drafty, will this do the job?

Looks good Mike!
Should heat your house fine and look great doing it.
Don't know much about the stove though.
Looking at the jar on the stove I would say it's a 6 incher.
Does it have tubes or a plate for secondary burning?
Fire brick in it?

Its a bit small for a drafty 1900. imo
they will do over 2000 sqft in well insulated west coast homes, but probably not in Mass
well its not super drafty, but its not tightly sealed either..

Looks good Mike!
Should heat your house fine and look great doing it.
Don't know much about the stove though.
Looking at the jar on the stove I would say it's a 6 incher.
Does it have tubes or a plate for secondary burning?
Fire brick in it?
tubes
I like the idea of 12 hour heat cycles from it

If it works fine on all but the coldest days that is ok, if I got to let the NG furnace kick in every now and then its good.

The unit was rated to heat 1800-2000 sqft, but i'd recommend over-sizing the stove 10-25% above makers recommendations, maybe more if the home is drafty(or a little drafty :) )

Reactions: mfglickman
how is hearthstones part pricing? woodstock I read is very reasonable.. is hearthstone also?

Be sure it's a "Heritage" before you buy it. It looks more like the "Harvest" I just bought. Looking at the pics. of Hearthstone Heritage stoves on google, the door on yours is smaller in relation to the front stones like my Harvest, and the andirons match the harvest also. I don't know a lot about them, but the Harvest was an early catalytic stove that some say didn't work very well, and you might not be happy with it, especially if the guts are not in top shape. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Ehouse

Be sure it's a "Heritage" before you buy it. It looks more like the "Harvest" I just bought. Looking at the pics. of Hearthstone Heritage stoves on google, the door on yours is smaller in relation to the front stones like my Harvest, and the andirons match the harvest also. I don't know a lot about them, but the Harvest was an early catalytic stove that some say didn't work very well, and you might not be happy with it, especially if the guts are not in top shape. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Ehouse
i just told the guy to email me the model number and a pic of the label on the back of the stove

thanks!

i just told the guy to email me the model number and a pic of the label on the back of the stove

thanks![/quote

Google Hearthstone Harvest photos and look at the first pic. You'll see what I'm talking about.

A house that is two story and 1900sq.ft.(like yours) is easier to heat evenly then a one story of the same size.
I think you would be fine all but the coldest ,windiest days Mike.

And getting 12 hour burns out of it won't happen. It might be warm after 12 hours but you won't typically be able to relight without matches.

That's an old stove. An outdated model. Is the deal really good?

i did and I see the difference in the doors and no andirons on the heritage vs harvest, i also see stoves that look like that listed as heritage.. I found one guy saying the heritage was made in two styles

thats said I dont know, thats why I am asking questions here
still waiting for guy to get me the info i requested before I make a commitment to go get it, if it is a heritage I will grab it, harvest I wont

Hi tekguy- If thats a heritage, its an oldie. Those stoves were pretty liberally rated by HS I feel it is a good 1K-1500 sqft stove. Burn times 6-9 hrs. The newest model (heritage 1) is very expensive, nice stove as all the soapstone stoves are. If that is a Harvest parts will be limited too. Unless its a great deal, or you really want a soapstone stove, or if you're using it as a supplemental heater and not a primary heater, I'd be wary. No fun working on internals of old soapstone stoves either. Good luck.

Stovelark
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood
Enviro EF3 FS pellet

See Mikey..these guys know their stoves!

So old soapstone stoves are no good? Didn't realize that its that old

Reactions: mfglickman
Considering a used Hearthstone Heritage at a decent price, guy doesn't know what year it is but says it was in house when he bought the place 10 years ago and looked like new than and he barely ever uses it. Any specifics I need to know when I check it out? This would be a 6" flue, correct?

Can anyone tell form pic about what year it is?
3E83K63J35L25K65M8d2l7e8bc2e87db11125.jpg

Make sure the door latches are sound. I had a Heritage for years and had to replace the door frame and handles several times. They have a terrible design and just don't last. Either the frame cracks or the handle latch wears out. Just be aware that stoves like the Lennox or Jotul have doors that have a more positive latch close.

No, I wouldn't say old soapstone stoves are no good. Some are great. You have to know your stove, how good a stove it was for its time, the shape it's in now, how available parts are, what type of maintenance the model of stove has needed historically. There are some great old soapstone stoves out there.

Not familiar with the stove you are asking about, but some of the early catalytic models had some issues, and someone here has suggested that that is one that did? If you get an OLD stove, you (a) should almost be given it and (b) better be sure it's in good shape OR that YOU are able to rebuilt it EASILY and COST EFFECTIVELY. Otherwise, you are better off watching for a newer stove, or getting a less expensive new one if money is a limiting factor in your choice. There are very good, very efficient stoves that will heat your home well.

Every once in a while a used Fireview comes up on Craig's List at a very good price. They are great stoves, and easy to service. But I don't know if one will heat your home...you are pushing the limits of its capability, certainly. Woodstock rates it at 900-1600 sq feet. They tend to be conservative, but you have indicated you are larger and not terribly well sealed. One would provide most of the heat you needed, but perhaps not all. You could call and talk with woodstock. They'll give you guidance if you give them details of your layout and what you want/need to accomplish, even if you're talking about buying a used Woodstock on the open market. You could also ask them if they expect to have any rebuilt Fireviews for sale this summer, and what the price would be.

Also, watch carefully in the next couple of months for a larger Hearthstone. You might get lucky. A lot of people change stoves at this time of year, as the sales start, and have an older stove to sell.

Good luck, and don't rush into a stove because a price looks appealing. You'll live with the stove for a long time, and will want it to be a pleasure and not a pain.

If it's a Harvest catalytic model, it will have an all metal back that protrudes about 2" from the frame. No stones at all on the back.

well you guys set me straight, I was thinking this stove was late 90's or something... the guy hasnt got back to me with the info I asked for so I will take that as a sign to pass...

my ex has a Woodstock fireview at her house so that stove is off the list, so I just cant do it.. the few times I have been there for whatever reason with it burning - I can tell that stove wouldn't put out enough heat for my house anyways

the search continues, patience is key but I am want to buy the stove with the cash I have saved before something happens and I dip into the fund, you know how life goes LOL

Is a Hearthstone 'Vermont' model stove any good? Looks to be a larger stove

Hi tek- if you are looking for a soapstone specific stove, I'd suggest the HS Mansfield. Big stove, single front door only though, no sideloader. In the cast iron market, a Jotul Oslo or Firelight might be just the ticket. Good time to start looking for used stoves too.

Stovelark
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood

. . .If thats a Heritage, its an oldie. . .Unless it's a great deal. . .I'd be wary. No fun working on internals of old soapstone stoves. . .
So old soapstone stoves are no good? Didn't realize that it's that old.
I think Stovelark's point is not that old stone stoves are no good, just that they have to be rebuilt periodically, say, every 20 years or so. You don't want to pay much $ for a stove that's due for a rebuild. BTW, the same is true for a cast iron stove; eventually, it will need to have all the gaskets replaced and seams re-cemeted. If you don't want to deal with anything like this, get a stove with a welded steel firebox.

. . .If you get an OLD stove, you (a) should almost be given it and (b) better be sure it's in good shape OR that YOU are able to rebuilt it EASILY and COST EFFECTIVELY. Otherwise, you are better off watching for a newer stove, or getting a less expensive new one if money is a limiting factor. . .Good luck, and don't rush into a stove because a price looks appealing. You'll live with the stove for a long time, and will want it to be a pleasure and not a pain.
+1:)

. . .the search continues, patience is key but I am want to buy the stove with the cash I have saved before something happens and I dip into the fund, you know how life goes LOL
I know what you mean, but you have at least 6 months to find the right stove at the right price. I second Rideau's suggestion to take your time. The folks who stick around here in the off season will be happy to talk stoves with you all summer long. ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.