Buying a used stove/insert???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acp104

Jan 14, 2016
NW Illinois
I have an existing masonry fireplace that we don't use in my unfinished basement. Since I want an insert once we ever get around to finishing it, I've started to keep an eye out for low cost used inserts thinking I'd be willing to put one in now if the price was right and just burn it as a supplemental heat source until we finish the basement. I just came across a Country Performer 210 insert for $300 that I thought might be a pretty good choice. I have a 1350sq foot ranch, and the fireplace is at the far end of the basement under the bedrooms. Am I likely to get good upstairs heating benefits from this unit? Any thoughts on buying this stove/insert used? I know I'll need a chimney liner and related accessories. Existing firebox is 29" high x 20" deep x 35" wide @ front, 23" wide at back, and 28" wide @ 14" deep.

Last edited:
Well the best advice I ever received on this site was put the unit where you want the heat. If you want to primarily heat the basement then put it there. If however you spend most of your time upstairs, put the unit there. Getting some heat upstairs from the basement is possible, but most who have good success have good house layout for it (staircase in middle of house) or well insulated houses (heat output requirement is lower). I wouldn't put a unit in the basement and expect heating miracles on the main level.

If unfinished also means uninsulated then typically you'll have a tougher time getting any usable heat anywhere. Kind of an aside to your question but have you considered free standing stoves as well?

Correct, the basement walls are not insulated, just concrete block. Stairs are opened, but not large or centrally located. I thought heat still might rise well through the floor.

I'm not real interested in a free standing stove in the house as I don't really have anywhere to run a chimney up through the center of the house, and I don't want to add one to the outside of the house. I would consider a free standing stove just placed in the existing hearth, but its not an ideal location for max benefit.

Correct, the basement walls are not insulated, just concrete block.
The block walls act as endless heat sinks and suck a lot of the heat right up.

I'm not real interested in a free standing stove in the house as I don't really have anywhere to run a chimney up through the center of the house,
You could run a liner through the chimney you want to use for the insert just place the stove out on the hearth, if you have the room that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.