buying a used Vermont casting Intrepid 1302 or Jotul#*???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenneth

Nov 12, 2009
Central Missouri
High all I'm new at this and I;m thinking about buying a used Vermont Casting Model 1302 Intrepid. Over the last few days I read a lot about stoves and it is very confusing. can anyone that has or has had a intrepid give me some help.
I'm also looking at a never used but about 25 year old Jotul #8 any help there. I'm heating about 950 SF very old house no insulated walls brick on clay tile and plaster.
Thanks Grayone65

if its an old non insulated house you need lots of heat....
the 1302 is a nice small easy to maintain and operate useful stove. But it is small.

If the house is small, then a 1302 will be fine.
if its bigger than about 1200 SqFt and no insulation you're gonna need a bigger stove.

I dunno nothing about a jotul#8.

I heat 1400 sqft with an intrepid 1302 but the house is insulated, not very well but it is. The temp here rarely goes below zero.

often I have to open a window, even in the dead of winter.

The size of the house will dictate the size of the stove needed,

If that Jotul 8 is still available, please pass the info on. That's a nice stove and some came in catalytic versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.