Buying a used vista insert questons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
I have seen a few sites the describe what to look for in a used stove, but does anyone have any tips about things I should check for with this specific stove?

Thanks!

rob bennett said:
I have seen a few sites the describe what to look for in a used stove, but does anyone have any tips about things I should check for with this specific stove?

Thanks!

Probably nothing related to that particular stove. Look for signs of cracking/warping/overfiring, firebick condition, check the secondary baffle area for damage. It's a good little stove - I helped a friend put in a Vista insert last year. They heat pretty well, and PE makes a good stove.

Any idea on the age or useage? How big of an area are you planning to heat. Due to its size, it will not give you a good overnight burn. If I remember right, the claim is it can hold a max of 18" splits (you might get 1 in there due to the smaller firebox and kind of small door size). Not that those are real drawbacks.... just that it is a relatively small stove, but a very good one.

It's a great little stove and has done the job for us for 2 winters now. Only problem I had was a loosening of the door gasket and it was easily re-cemented in position. When you get it, be sure to vacuum out the space just inside the stove in front of the door that the combustion air comes through. It tends to get a little built up with fine ashes over time and will burn much better after you clean it out.

Don't expect an overnight burn but it will heat up fast and put out a lot of heat. !8" splits can be a bit hard to load but seem to go easier if you load them from the right side of the stove (door hinge side). I don't quite understand why this is so, but it is.

I've got one too and I'm generally happy. You can't get a very long burn (2.5 to 3 hours typically, 6 if you use big slabs and low air) and you end up dumping ashes pretty often. The optimum length of spits is about 16". 18" are hard to load and 19" only go in diagonally.

PAJerry, where exactly are you vacuuming?

I would be using this to heat one wing of a c shaped house. I don't really expect it to heat the whole house, I will put a summit or soapstone in the chimney at the other side of the house. I have a stupid gas log in there now. (it even has a fake chainsaw mark in it!) This will be for the weekend and a few evenings. I expect to reload it a lot. But I cant really put 3 cubic foot stoves in my house! I think the price is reasonable. It has only been used "a few years"
Rob

My vista insert heats my family room, kitchen, and dining room fine. I have an oil furnace for my primary heat source but unless it is windy, the furnace doesn't come on while I'm burning. Thermostat is in dining room so bedrooms upstairs get a bit cold but that is OK. Sounds like it will be fine for what you have in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.