1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Buying acreage--is it a bad idea?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by dave11, Mar 16, 2013.

1. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    winter gets old in april but its coming to an end soon.
    OldLumberKid likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    I love it here but taxes are a joke. Winter does tend to get old and we won't even discuss lake effect!!!
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  3. charly

charly Guest

I agree with NYS taxes... 96 acre farm here,,, taxes come out to be 25 dollars a day to live here. Sickening...
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  4. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Don't feel too bad - I pay almost that much for 7+ acres here in CT.
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  5. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland
    That's not very encouraging, I was looking to escape the crazy taxes here.

But don't feel too bad — I'm on a suburban 100' x 40' 3 bed 1-1/2 br, with barely any room for firewood (no chickens or farm animals allowed here, of course) and the taxes are about the same as what you're paying on the 96 acres w/ house. They doubled since we bought in 1997.
  6. charly

charly Guest

I guess you have to just pay the taxes or sell everything and buy a motor home ;lol.. Then it will be back to outdoor fires only;)
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  7. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    If you find a lot with woods/timber on it. When you get a piece of land you are very serious about, try to get a forester to do a report of appx value.

No electricity near it? it would have to be dirt cheap for me to buy it.

we live on 50 acres. Makes for good neighbor relations.
    heat seeker and OldLumberKid like this.
  8. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    Interesting thread!

At some point I will buy some land too. I want to build an off-the-grid cabin on it as a get-away. I want somewhere that I can truly unplug from my high tech life. My thought is that it needs to be no more than ~2 hours from home, or I won't use it often enough and won't be able to keep an eye on it sufficiently. Luckily, finding something within a 2 hour drive of northern central Ohio shouldn't be too hard.

-SF
  9. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Lol -- I kinda pondered the motor home bit, a while back.

Thought I'd get a lot of surfing in that way -- and visit new places -- I was google earthing Steamer Lane checking out the lay of the land for RVing, and noticed others had the same idea, :)

But then where would I keep my firewood stack? I know it's not very big of a stack, but it'd fill the little motor home in the picture, and where would the stove go? ... wouldn't leave any room for the surfboards ;)

SteamerLaneMotorHome.png
  10. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Don't forget to consult a geologic map of the area if you decide to buy. The Marcellus and other mineral formations are a concern, of course, but groundwater is also important. I was lucky enough to find land on a sandstone ridge, a great aquifier that filters any impurities. Nearby nat'l forest, few neighbors, and a large portion of the ridge above me = 30 gal. a minute of good water. Most of the area around me is susceptible to well pollution due to heavily fractured /caverned limestone. Many still use their sinkholes as trash pits, with wells a few hundred feet away!
    OldLumberKid likes this.