Buying an insert - looking for advice/experiences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlenkows

Jul 1, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Hi there.... Just found this place after a bit of Googling.....

I currently have a Englander 25 stove (this is the 4th season) that runs pretty much OK (will post seperately about it though). Each year, I burn it more and more, using 2 tons of Stove Chow this past winter. Since I started with the Pellet Stove, I have gone from using 1200 gallons of heating oil to just under 500. I want to use less oil.

The stove is in the Den/Family Room with a grille in the ceiling to hit the 3rd floor (the house is a 2200 sq. ft Split style with 3 levels). In order to get the heat up there I have a small fan on the grille to pull the air up. It doesn't work so good. The room easilly makes it to 85 degrees which is virtually unbearable (I like 70 personally). The rest of the house still calls for heat.

So.... I am looking to buy a second stove - for the fireplace on the 2nd floor.

My hopes are to get enough warm air from this new unit up the stairs so I can use my central A/C's air handler to circulate the warmed air throughout the house. Just got the A/C so I don't know if it'll work.

Anyway....

I was looking to buy a Harmon insert, but the cost was $3600.... The dealer recommended a Breckwell P23I unit instead. He said it was a bit smaller but otherwise comparable.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this unit??? I put a deposit down on it but before going all the way, I want to make sure that I'm not being sold a POS. Before tax, delivery and installation, it is costing me $2200.

Let me know -- I want to move on this as quickly as possible.

Thanks
Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.