Buying firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egclassic

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2011
SW Ohio
Why is it so hard for people, at least here in sw Ohio, to sell decent firewood?
I comb through all the local adds on craigslist looking for firewood close to home. I pick one and go look at what he is trying to sell, only to find a rack of "overly split" wood.
Now I am not saying that the quality of the wood is bad, but why do these guys split their wood into such small pieces?
I would rather get fewer "good sized" pieces than a whole slew of small pieces that will burn up in no time.
Usually I would not be looking to buy firewood since I have access to over 80 acres of nothing but trees(in another county), but since all these wood destroying bugs are around, I cannot transport.
While searching the net to see which counties in Ohio prohibit transportation of firewood, I came across this:
http://www.agri.ohio.gov/public_docs/News/2008/news_admn_110308_firewoodtips.pdf

Kind of interesting to read but, bulleted item#3 and #5 contradict one another.
Maybe I'll take this with me next time I buy firewood, LOL!

Craigslist can be a crapshoot. I've ordered from local guys and gotten great wood, and I've also gotten gys showing up with wood that has been cut and split from 5-10yr-old blowdowns... garbage.

This year, seasoned wood is up 15-20% in ME. I'm buying from large dealers this year: good quality, abundant supply, and usually priced $20-30/cord below the smaller guys.

I really don't see the contradiction. While technically a rick is half a cord and therefore a fraction of a cord there are too many people who believe a rick is 4' x 8' by whatever the length the logs are. The fact they require sellers to only use cords and franctions there of removes any confusion. I can't believe they allow any wood under 50% MC to be considered seasoned. To me that is just wrong.

sebois said:
Craigslist can be a crapshoot. I've ordered from local guys and gotten great wood, and I've also gotten gys showing up with wood that has been cut and split from 5-10yr-old blowdowns... garbage.

This year, seasoned wood is up 15-20% in ME. I'm buying from large dealers this year: good quality, abundant supply, and usually priced $20-30/cord below the smaller guys.

Yeah CL is definitely a crapshoot, but there aren't many large dealers around here. You see the same ones year after year and wonder how they are still around. There are some landscaping companies here selling wood, but usually they may have scored one or two good tree jobs a year and sell out quickly.
My luck maybe changing, just read that ALL of Ohio is quarantined against the EAB, and that you can "move wood freely"just not out of state, but now it's this ALB that's screwing things up. So far the Asian Long-horned Beetle is only in one county and my "free" wood is in an adjoining county. Guess I'll be making some phone calls.

Derek said:
I really don't see the contradiction. While technically a rick is half a cord and therefore a fraction of a cord there are too many people who believe a rick is 4' x 8' by whatever the length the logs are. The fact they require sellers to only use cords and franctions there of removes any confusion. I can't believe they allow any wood under 50% MC to be considered seasoned. To me that is just wrong.

A rick is ONLY half a cord IF the logs are cut 24" long(which would not fit in my stove and be a waste). If the logs were cut 16", then that "rick" would only be 1/3 of a cord.
You don't sell wood, do you?

One good thing about the wood being split small is that it will dry faster and with those who I've spoken they say most of their buyers want their wood split small. Yet, some won't split small simply because it takes more time and is more wear and tear on the machinery.

egclassic said:
Derek said:

A rick is ONLY half a cord IF the logs are cut 24" long(which would not fit in my stove and be a waste). If the logs were cut 16", then that "rick" would only be 1/3 of a cord.

And that is exactly the point I was trying to make. 4' x 8' x 16" is not a rick and is not 1/2 a cord.

I'd be happy to find wood that was split small ,but I can understand why you want some big stuff. You could probably order some bigger stuff from them for next year. It would be less work for them.

woodsmaster said:
I'd be happy to find wood that was split small ,but I can understand why you want some big stuff. You could probably order some bigger stuff from them for next year. It would be less work for them.

Well, by small, I'm talking about the size of 2x4's maybe 16"-18" long. Since I already have a cord or two of good sized splits, these will help fill the gaps for the over nights.

Hey egclassic I'm 95% sure all counties in Ohio are quarantined, so you can transport within the state just no state to state. On the size of splits i have a wide variety but still like mine small. Just seems to work for me.

Edit: State of Ohio website says all 88 counties under quarantine

Derek said:
egclassic said:
Derek said:

And that is exactly the point I was trying to make. 4' x 8' x 16" is not a rick and is not 1/2 a cord.

This is why people get ripped off when buying wood! You already said that a "rick" is "technically" half a cord. Well, unless you cut your logs 24" long,which won't fit in most stoves, a rick is not "technically" half a cord, it is at best, a useless measurement. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say, but this is what screws allot of people up when buying wood. Allot of firewood sellers just throw together a "Stack" of wood and call it a rick, face cord or whatever they feel it is.

8'x4'x16" x 3 would equal a cord.

ohio woodburner said:
Hey egclassic I'm 95% sure all counties in Ohio are quarantined, so you can transport within the state just no state to state. On the size of splits i have a wide variety but still like mine small. Just seems to work for me.

I saw that, but does that also apply for the "new" Asian long horned beetle? Clermont county and East fork lake region are the only areas in Ohio with it so far. My supply is in Brown County which borders the East Fork Lake region.

egclassic said:
ohio woodburner said:

I saw that, but does that also apply for the "new" Asian long horned beetle? Clermont county and East fork lake region are the only areas in Ohio with it so far. My supply is in Brown County which borders the East Fork Lake region.

Hmm damn Asian bugs. I'm not sure have to look into that some more. I try always get my wood within the same county but sometimes it's hard for me because i live within 5 miles of 3 different counties

I just bought firewood from my brother in law. It was CSS since last November in the open where its very windy. Red oak, hickory, ash and some maple for 125 a little over a cord. I know its seasoned and its nice sized splits. I also have luck from the local Amish. We heat with a woodfurnace, so I want my splits a little bigger. I'm now starting to cut from the property so hopefully I don't have to purchase firewood again.

Backwoods Savage said:
One good thing about the wood being split small is that it will dry faster and with those who I've spoken they say most of their buyers want their wood split small. Yet, some won't split small simply because it takes more time and is more wear and tear on the machinery.
true. most people want in smaller.

ecocavalier02 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
true. most people want in smaller.

+1
I've found most people like the smaller splits.
Those who like the bigger splits can still burn the smaller splits if you just turn the damper down. Those who like the smaller splits simply won't take the big stuff.

egclassic said:
ohio woodburner said:

The ALB quarantine is only in Tate Twp. (Clermont County) and East Fork State Park. I live right down the road from where it was found and am begging the USDA boys to come survey my maples. So far they have found several hundred trees around the area but it hasn't spread too far, probably not at my place yet. AFAIK not in the park yet either. Brown County should be fine. The guy I have bought from the last few years appears to have vanished, no reply to my e-mails. If I hear back from him I'll pass on the contact info, he is very fair, delivers nicely seasoned wood stacked in a 4x4x8 box on his trailer.

Evans Landscaping seems to always have wood but it is a bit pricey. I know Auxier trucking in Amelia have a firewood processor I've seen them running. I don't trust most of the folks on Craigslist, most of them define a cord much differently than I do. I'll take free wood posted there though.

egclassic said:
Derek said:
egclassic said:
Derek said:

This is why people get ripped off when buying wood! You already said that a "rick" is "technically" half a cord. Well, unless you cut your logs 24" long,which won't fit in most stoves, a rick is not "technically" half a cord, it is at best, a useless measurement. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say, but this is what screws allot of people up when buying wood. Allot of firewood sellers just throw together a "Stack" of wood and call it a rick, face cord or whatever they feel it is.

I've never considered a rick as a half cord of wood. A rick is usually the same as a face cord. Maybe it matters where you live?

Backwoods Savage said:
egclassic said:
Derek said:
egclassic said:
Derek said:

I've never considered a rick as a half cord of wood. A rick is usually the same as a face cord. Maybe it matters where you live?

Neither have I. But when you look at what people are selling, you really have to pay attention.

That's for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.