Buying first load of wood. Does this sound good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planeweird

Sep 29, 2008
cincinnati, oh
Mixture of Oak, Hickory, Hedge, Walnut, Mulberry, Hackberry, and Maple. 1 Cord $125.00 delivered.

Talked to the guy on the phone. He has about 15 cords that are split and seasoned for 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. The splits are 16" on average. He said that I'm welcome to come out and check the wood before buying and he guarantees me a proper cord(4x4x8)

I'm thinking of buying 4 cords this year since I won't have time to cut and season my own by Winter.

I'm just learning about wood and have no idea if Hedge, Mulberry, or Hackberry are any good. Thoughts?

That would be a great deal! It's nice that you can look at it before you pay him. The wood mentioned is all good wood, you might take a moisture meter with you if you have one. It's a good deal even if it is green though.

If I could get hardwood that cheap, I sure wouldn't bother doing it myself. Around here a cord of locust or red oak is 300-400 dollars. Sure seems like a good deal to me.

That sounds like a great deal even if it's not totally dry. At that price you might want to consider getting enough for 2 years to get ahead of the game?

Thanks guys. I may just do that. I just bought my Jotul F 3CB to suppliment my heating. Plan on heating my first floor living areas(950sq ft roughly) aand will probably burn fall through spring. Does 2-3 cords sound about right for that size and length of time? I'm in Cincinnati.

If I can figure out a good way to stack it all along my fence line and across the back edge of my yard, I' wouldn't mind getting a couple of yrs worth. I have a fence running down the side of my drive way the length of the property but want to try and keep i more out of sight from the road. I don't trust people in the neighborhood not to slip by at night and snag my wood:)

How old is your home? How well isulated? How good are your doors and windows? The first thing to do is make your home as efficient as possible. To the greatest extent, that will determine how much wood you use.

The four cords should be about right for this year. If they are full honest cords of dry wood. You will burn more wood the first year getting used to the stove. You may use 3.5 or less the next year. The first year you will be tempted to stuff in more wood too soon when it starts burning down.

If I could get wood for that price I would turn my chainsaws into planters or take'em to the pawn shop. ;-)

Be sure that stuff is no more than 17" splits or you are going to end up trimming the ends off of every one of them and it ain't no fun.

I hear ya Bart:) He actually said that they were between 15-16" so I'll go check em out tomorrow.

So that's the deal huh? Don't be tempted to keep loading? I really am supposed to let the fire burn down to just coals before reloading? That just doesn't seem right:) I like FLAMES darn it.

Around here a cord of locust or red oak is 300-400 dollars.

Are you buying wood with the Kennedy's? Or just have there money

iskiatomic said:
Around here a cord of locust or red oak is 300-400 dollars.

Are you buying wood with the Kennedy's? Or just have there money

I don't buy it. I just look at the prices in the newspaper. There are 8 or nine sellers each winter.
That is of course, cut, split, seasoned and delivered.

Planeweird said:
I hear ya Bart:) He actually said that they were between 15-16" so I'll go check em out tomorrow.

So that's the deal huh? Don't be tempted to keep loading? I really am supposed to let the fire burn down to just coals before reloading? That just doesn't seem right:) I like FLAMES darn it.

You reload when the stove is coals and the stove top temp is down to around 350 - 400. With an EPA stove you ain't gonna believe what happens next if you stick a fresh load of wood on top of a hot coal bed with a high stove top temp.

It is an "Oh chit!" moment. That lasts a lot longer than a moment. Stove and stack temp heads for the moon.

Planeweird said:
See Bart....THAT'S good to know cause in all my reading a trying to get ahead on this, I did not learn that. I think I owe ya one or two.

What BrotherBart is referring ot I call the Jotul Borealis. You will love your F3 for the size area you are heating.

Well, I just went and look at the wood. Looks very nice and seasoned and all between 15-18" cuts. Seemed like an honest guy and all the wood was stacked neatly on his property. We worked out a deal of 6 cords for $700 delivered. I'm happy:)

Better too much than not enough. If I could buy C/S/D for that price, I'd retire my saw and splitter.

Dunebilly said:
If I could get hardwood that cheap, I sure wouldn't bother doing it myself. Around here a cord of locust or red oak is 300-400 dollars. Sure seems like a good deal to me.

It's been years since the wife and I were up your way; when we were there, we stopped at the "Chop n' block" and the Bow and Arrow stoveshop. Can you tell me if those two places are still in business, just for memories sake-thanks!

Sounds like a really good price to me too. Hearing that has me daydreaming about having my days off back again.

we ahve plenty of hardwood around here and the price is about $150-180 green delivered I would say $225-250 dry

Status
Not open for further replies.