buying logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted69

Aug 21, 2007
ok I know I have seen this topic here before. I am looking at buying logs this year.....How do I know how much wood would I get from 8 foot logs? Let say they about 12 inch diameter.
thanks
Ted

Did the supplier not indicate how many cord were in the truck? Cheers!

You'll get a lot of different answers.... here is one: The volume of a cylinder is the cross-sectional area times the length, or roughly

0.75 x Diameter x Diameter x Length

In your example, Length = 8 feet and Diameter = 1 foot, so the volume of the cylinder is 6 cubic feet. Don't mix inches and feet.

Trees are not cylinders, they are crooked, have taper and bark. Use math with caution.

Some might say that 90-100 cu. ft. of solid wood might yield a cord of firewood. Yield of sawn lumber depends on a lot of variables, like the skills of the sawyer, saw kerf, required grade etc....

Usually a little less than what they tell you. If they say you'll get 10 cord, figure on 8-9 cord once it is split and stacked. If you get more than that, it is bonus time.

Measure the height and width of the load of 8 foot logs. If it is 4 feet wide by 4 feet high, you have a cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.