Buying Moisture Meter - which one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I've been meaning to buy a moisture meter and I'm just getting around to it. I did a search here to see if there had already been a discussion about which is the best and I found a lot of threads containing info about moisture meters but nothing about which one is better than others, etc. I wouldn't mind spending between $20 - $40 on one and see a bunch on Amazon. Can anyone suggest one in this price range that is fairly accurate and will last?

Thanks!

I got the one for$33 from amazon, and have not had the trouble that the HH guys have.

EKLawton said:
I got the one for$33 from amazon, and have not had the trouble that the HH guys have.

Thanks - what do you mean by HH?

I have had no issues with the cheapie Harbor tool 12 dollar meter. It's consistent which is all that really matters.

Just bought the $33 one off Amazon. It's the PSI MMETER2 Digital Readout Moisture Meter. It has good reviews except for one person who gave it 1 star because he dropped it and now it doesn't work.

I think EK ment to say HF for Harbor Freight, HH is generally used for Holtz Hausen wood stacking. I have the HF MM and it has worked well for me and I think it only cost $8 at the time.

albertj03 said:
EKLawton said:

Thanks - what do you mean by HH?
meant HF for harbor freight

My Harbor Freight MM works really well but after you buy it you will realize you don't need it. Its really useless other than to play with. In the end you're gonna burn the wood anyway so who cares what the level of moisture is! If it seems dry you're probably going to burn it and if it seems wet you will wait - same thing you do without a moisture meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.