BUYING MY FIRST PALLET OF OKANAGANS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GIPPER

Sep 24, 2009
southern ma
I went to my local BJS and they still had them for sale. The sign said $20 off a pallet price. Comes to 269 a ton. Sounds gooood to me. Will tell everybody how they burn. BTU I"m counting on you!

BTU said:
..........I'm pretty sure you will be very happy with your purchase......
.....as BTU sits by the computer waiting for the reply from Gipper, biting his fingernails to the bone..... :grrr:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program, "As the Pellets Burn".

Posted in the BT topic, but also bought my first ton of Oaki's today.

Quick picture for ya.

DSC03738.gif

Actually, NO. Little story.

I paid for 1 ton, forgetting they are 1.3. They bring the load over, and go to start removing 15 bags. I asked how much for the rest, and they were goin to charge me the per bag price for 15 bags, which is much higher than the 1 ton price. SO I said forget it, and took the 1 ton. Dont know whats up, but im not paying 15% extra for those few extra bags.. shaking head.....

BTU said:
....at this point BTU has long ago stopped worrying about if someone is going to like the pellets or not...What BTU is trying to do is educate even more people so friends don't let friends burn bad pellets......... ;-)

I know....just teasing ya a little. ;-)

Thats what I told them. I did the math on my phone, and said it should be 5.10 per bag, but they said no, its 6.00 each for individual bag price. Even checked the office.
I would have taken the 1.3 tons using the 5.10 per bag, but hey, and extra $13.50, its the moral of the story, no reason to charge extra, i would have saved them some labor by taking it as one shot.

BTU said:
macman said:
BTU said:
..........I'm pretty sure you will be very happy with your purchase......
.....as BTU sits by the computer waiting for the reply from Gipper, biting his fingernails to the bone..... :grrr:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program, "As the Pellets Burn".

Actually it's BTU sitting in front of his computer dialing for dollars, (starring at his database) talking to pellet dealers for most of the day and with tens of thousands of tons sold this season, at this point BTU has long ago stopped worrying about if someone is going to like the pellets or not...

What BTU is trying to do is educate even more people so friends don't let friends burn bad pellets......... ;-)

maybe you can get some up here in upstate ny ( cortland, ithaca syracuse area)

Iron Stove,
They gave me the same story... I questioned the forklift operator briefly and then walked away shaking my head as well!

warmwife&happykids; said:
Iron Stove,
They gave me the same story... I questioned the forklift operator briefly and then walked away shaking my head as well!

At least there consistant ! LOL

But I bet a few people are just taking the extra bags and not doing the math in their heads.

GIPPER said:
I went to my local BJS and they still had them for sale. The sign said $20 off a pallet price. Comes to 269 a ton. Sounds gooood to me. Will tell everybody how they burn. BTU I"m counting on you!

Can you confirm is the $20 off a 1 ton pallet or do you have to get the 1.3 full pallet?

Sorry, I'm buying them this weekend,but the sign said $20 off the pallet price.Will find out this weekend.$269 even for 50 bags sounds gooood to me! Just came from home depot.They had Bayou's for $247 a ton.I'm still going with the Oakie's!!

I can confirm the $20.00 off on Okanagan's at BJ's is per pallet (not ton). I have the receipt in front of me.

BJ's item # 681496 65 Bags (one pallet) x $5.38 per bag = $349.70 for 1.30 ton which works out to be $269 per ton

You must purchase the full pallet (65 bags) to receive the $5.38 per bag cost.

1.3 tons of pellet pandemonium ready for action!!!

Rich

Attachments

• Pellet 2009001.jpg
    Pellet 2009001.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 633
Same for me from BJ's in Taunton, Ma a couple of weeks ago.

$20.00 off pallet price. 65 bags on pallet.

IIRC it was $349.00 total out the door. Works out to $5.369230 / bag

Burned 1 bag so far. I had ripped a small hole in a corner when I was unloading.

Minimal ash, good heat. This was on low level burning EF-2.

Interested to see how they do when burning hot.

Think they will be just fine :)

---Nailer---

BTU said:
....where did you want me to sent those wet pallets of Inferno's to you...what was your home address again??

Wet Infernos???? YIKES Their terrible when their DRY! :ahhh:

BT UPDATE:

They called me this Am, and apologised for the confusion over the price of the aditional 15 bags on the Okanagan pellets. They stated they will only charge the lower per ton price instead of the higher per bag price. A bit of confusion since they are new to these pallets of pellets over 1 ton each.

THANKS AGAIN for the great customer sevice and clearing up this issue !

I just bought a pallet (65) of Oakies last Saturday for 5.39 a bag. They went on sale sometime after that for 4.99 a bag. So I went back to BJ and they gave me the sale price and gave me 24bucks back. Not bad

I had a couple bags of Okies and would have to say they
are top notch pellets. Highly recommended.
Lot of heat, not too much ash, and they smell like freshly cut pine.
Double, triple, quadruple thumbs up on these pellets from me!
Xena said that.

I bought 4 bags from BJ's I have to say I like them alot burning in my Enviro Empress.. but price in the NE was a tad to high to buy a ton

Earlier in the season, I picked up 10 bags of Okies to try out after finding them locally.
Just burned the last bag of them and agree with the others that they are a good pellet.
Burned really clean and Hot!

If I can find them in the spring at a reasonable price, they will be one of the brands on
my list that will be replacing my favorite Green Supremes, which are no longer available.

Sorry I didn't respond back to you guys on this thread,but I had truck issues and couldn't buy the pellets at the time.But yesterday before the storm struck I went to bj's and bought a pallet(65)bags for $304.20 and I'm glad I waited.$4.99 a bag plus $20 off the pallet purchase.Which lowered the price to $4.38 a bag! That's $234 a ton! Boy am I happy,happy,happy. Know I need for this blizzard to stop so I can start shoveling.But I have a nice hot stove to come in and warm up to! Oh yah and some home made kale soup!!

GIPPER said:
Sorry I didn't respond back to you guys on this thread,but I had truck issues and couldn't buy the pellets at the time.But yesterday before the storm struck I went to bj's and bought a pallet(65)bags for $304.20 and I'm glad I waited.$4.99 a bag plus $20 off the pallet purchase.Which lowered the price to $4.38 a bag! That's $234 a ton! Boy am I happy,happy,happy. Know I need for this blizzard to stop so I can start shoveling.But I have a nice hot stove to come in and warm up to! Oh yah and some home made kale soup!!

That's a darn good price. I picked up 5 bags yesterday in Rochester (Henrietta actually) for $4.99. I've been picking up a few bags here and there and storing them for the bitter cold days. I have two ton of other pellets that are every day burners. The Oakies have a very fine, powdery residue (fines) that are noticeable when pouring into the stove...the dust flows out and into the convection blower which distributes it nicely throughout the downstairs. A small price to pay for the incredible heat they put out.

tinkabranc said:
If I can find them in the spring at a reasonable price, they will be one of the brands on
my list that will be replacing my favorite Green Supremes, which are no longer available.

ditto......I want a $200/ton price.

GIPPER said:

The per bag price I think is $4.68 after a pallet purchase, but still a SWEET DEAL!!

Sorry for the type-o.It was $4.68 but still a great price.BTU just wanted to say I think the pellets are great quality. Length are very consistant,very little ash,and great heat. They are right up there with the Barefoots I've been burning.If not for this web site I would not have known about Okies!

Status
Not open for further replies.