Buying my next ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
Ok so last time I seek advice before I purchase my next ton. I have narrowed it down to 4 choices.

Barefoot $250/ton
2 miles up the road from me at a coal dealer. 2 trips with my little half ton.

Okies 304/pallet (65 bags) have to purchase a $45 membership to get this price
Bj's Wholesale club 30 miles away have to borrow friends work Truck (free)

Dry Creek $225/ton
30 miles away would have to borrow my friend work truck (free)

Green Team $229/ton
Lowes 30 miles away would have to borrow my friends work truck (free)

Only drawback to borrowing my friends truck is it would have to be on a weekend when someone else isn't using it.

Thanks for all your help guys its been invaluable so far!

What truck do you own? I have an '01 Ram 1500 which by description is a half ton. I've hauled pellets a ton at a time a million times, and also did 1.3 tons of Okies at once and it was fine. I bet you could do a full ton pallet no problem.

I have not used Barefoot or Dry Creek so I cannot comment there.

I have used Okies and Greene Team. The Okies come out to 233.85/ton or 265.38/ton if you add in the membership. If you will use the membership throughout the year, the Okies are a great price. If you will not use the membership, it's more of a toss up. The Greene Teams are not a bad pellet, but more of a shoulder season one. The Okies are a hotter burning pellet IMHO.

My 2 pennies

SXIPro said:
What truck do you own? I have an '01 Ram 1500 which by description is a half ton. I've hauled pellets a ton at a time a million times, and also did 1.3 tons of Okies at once and it was fine. I bet you could do a full ton pallet no problem.

I have a 06 Dodge Dakota 2wd V6

SXIPro said:
my 07 ram 1500 can't do it, had them put it in and there was no way i was hauling it, dont know how you did it or 1.3 tons for that matter.....different leaf springs added?

I cannot comment on the Dry Creek as I have not tried them, but I have tried
both the Barefoot and Okies so one of them would be my choice.

Do you know a buddy that already has a BJs membership?
If you do decide with the Okies be sure to call first to make sure they still have them.
They go quick.

Go with the Okies at $5.37 per bag (including the membership) and borrow your friends truck. Everyone seems to love those pellets. Once you have a membership and look around that place, you may see other products you can save on.

Pellets are expensive out east. Going price per ton of hardwood pellets here (Michigan Hardwood) is $219.

I was quoted $365 for a pallet of Okies this morning. Ridiculous!

That's $280 a ton if I've done my math right.

gbreda said:
....The Okies come out to 233.85/ton or 265.38/ton if you add in the membership. ....

Maybe you can find a friend that has a BJ's membership already that can buy them for you.

dhungy said:
Barefoot $250/ton
2 miles up the road from me at a coal dealer. 2 trips with my little half ton.
this is the best pellet . and its only 5 min away from you. easy choice

I have burned Barefoots, they are a very good pellet. top notch in all respects. BTU, I have no doubt that your pellets are just as good, but for the convenience factor alone they would to tricks to be a better deal in this case.

Thanks everyone Souzafone was right.. 5 miles away and great pellets and I am supporting a local business who I buy corn from as well. They open at one I will be there waiting since I have nothing else to put in the hopper in the meantime. Sorry okies but your per bag price is slightly higher than the barefoots not to mention I have to buy a membership just to buy you....

HEMI said:
SXIPro said:
my 07 ram 1500 can't do it, had them put it in and there was no way i was hauling it, dont know how you did it or 1.3 tons for that matter.....different leaf springs added?

Mine is the short bed quad cab Sport but I doubt that means squat besides the decal and the nerf bars. I haven't added anything to it suspension wise. It has 5 leafs per side and stock shocks. Seriously a ton in this thing is a breeze. I did 3200 lbs of rock in it once due to the happy trigger finger of the operator of a front end loader, and that was a slow and nervous ride home. I used to do a ton in my old Ram 1500 which was a standard cab with 8' bed, I think it was an '87, and that got a little swimmy with a ton in it.

Mine is the short bed quad cab Sport but I doubt that means squat besides the decal and the nerf bars. I haven't added anything to it suspension wise. It has 5 leafs per side and stock shocks. Seriously a ton in this thing is a breeze. I did 3200 lbs of rock in it once due to the happy trigger finger of the operator of a front end loader, and that was a slow and nervous ride home. I used to do a ton in my old Ram 1500 which was a standard cab with 8' bed, I think it was an '87, and that got a little swimmy with a ton in it.

There was a thread on this not too long back. I'm with you on this one but the fact of the matter is that it is illegal to carry weight like that in the bed.

With that said, my 09 Tundra (5.7L) handles a ton like nothing is in the back. I do strap it down and take it VERY careful though. My 06 Tacoma (4L) shimmied while carrying a ton even with me being careful--very nerve racking and NOT recommended. Unloading the pallet and stacking the pellets in the bed will prevent some of the "shimmy" the weight may cause.

I'm starting to budget to buy a 16' trailer to do my hauling.

Found the thread:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51194/

dhungy said:
SXIPro said:

I have a 06 Dodge Dakota 2wd V6

Hauled a pallet of Okies (65 bags) recently in my 2wd 97 Dakota. Made 3 trips to be safe. Each trip was @22 bags. I could have done a few more, so you should be safe taking half a normal pallet at a time.

I have used my dodge dakota, with fibeglass cap, to haul a ton befor. she sat low but it worked. the frist time i was in a low rider

Status
Not open for further replies.