Buying pellets in Rhode Island

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swimman

Sep 19, 2008
Rhode Island
I'm just about the buy a stove and want to stock up on pellets. I'm located in N. Kingstown, RI and want the advice of others who know of any retailers in the area that have pellets. I know most Home Depots have them but where else. Just getting into this pellet stove thing and hope to sign a deal tomorrow.

Want advice? Bite the bullet, continue with your current heat scheme, plan ahead, buy and install in the spring. Savings by doing it in May will make up for this year's loss. BTW, did you think that this is a good time of year to plan to heat your house?

Appreciate the excellent words of advice!

Now I'll ask once again, anyone know of a good dealer of pellets in RI? Where are all of you getting them from?

RI can only fit 2 or 3 pallets and then your in another state...... just kidding ya, try any local fireplace dealer, walmart, tractor supply, hardware stores etc... or check on line with a search for wood pellets. Good luck.

The gist of it is that most people bought their pellets quite awhile ago, and you will pay a premium buying them now. Check with Negus Lumber in Swansea for prices, I know they're pretty straight, then look closer to home. Good luck.

There's a small Mom and Pop garden shop in Coventry that carries them. The company is called Budzie's. The last time I checked they were selling for $300/ton, which is about the same as all the other local shops right now. I wish I could remember the brand they carried by name, but it escapes me. I do recall that they were a brand that has gotten good reviews on this site.

Happy Hunting.

Wow whats with the sarcastic responses? Looks like a quick google maps search shows both Tractor Supply Co.'s and Agway's in the general area. I bought from both this year here in CT. TSC had the better price and maintained pre-buy lists. Agway, here anyway, was a good bit more expensive and required a weekly phone call and a mad dash to get them when they were in. I would try TSC. Seems to me that Lowes and Home depot are gouging in most areas IMHO. Good luck!

Try Ashaway Hearth and Pation in Middletown.

I actually bought 4 tons of greene team pellets from lowes earlier this year. Paid $265 per ton and picked them up myself. I heard some good reviews on this site from last year. I am hopeful that I made the right decision.

Swimman,

I have relatives in Westerly, RI and they just got pellets from some place around the Kingston area called Eastern Ice. They sell Ice in the Summer and Pellets in the Winter.

Also, it seems that hossthehermit doesn't really read the posts and only responds with arrogant condescending attitude.

I can vouch for Ash a Way in Middletown. Actually they are known as Island Hearth and Patio. But they are joined at the hp with Ash A Way in Dartmouth Ma. I have bought Naragansett pellets from them last year and New England's also last year. If you go in there they have prices posted on the counter. This is helpful as they are usually really busy but will get to you in order. They also have a great selection of stoves on the floor.

I usually get my pellets from the Dartmouth store. They were selling Green Supreme brand for $309.00 / ton last week. They had plenty in stock then.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

I just went with a neighbor to pick up his pellets at Budzie's in Coventry. The brand is Instant Heat and I believe they were $320/ton. The had 4 tons that weren't reserved.

richkorn said:
Also, it seems that hossthehermit doesn't really read the posts and only responds with arrogant condescending attitude.

I agree.....

I was real happy with my Tractor Supply purchase. Had to put the money up first but the arrived in a few weeks as promised and they were very reasonable. I paid $240 a ton. Check them out.

Did a lot today. Went to Island Hearth in Middletown and they were selling pellets at $309/ton. They said they had numerous brands. I opted to start my collection a little closer at Home Depot in North Kingstown. I used a 10% off coupon and picked up two tons of Fireside Ultra's for $269/ton. We'll have to see how they work.

Also went to the shop in Wakefield and ordered a Lopi Yankee Bay which will be installed in early January. I researched a bunch of inserts and all had the pros and cons. I'm hoping the Lopi lives up to my expectations as well as the positive comments from the dealer (you never know if those comments are true or not!!).

Again, thanks for all the help and I'm looking forward to using the stockpile of pellets I currently have.

ktfinch2000 said:
tsc in coventry has premium pellets in stock for 239 a ton

kt,

I burned a ton of those last year. They gave off good heat, but created alot of ash and the sizes of the pellets were very small.

rap69ri said:
ktfinch2000 said:
tsc in coventry has premium pellets in stock for 239 a ton

kt,

I burned a ton of those last year. They gave off good heat, but created alot of ash and the sizes of the pellets were very small.

I think TSC uses a number of suppliers. I purchased Lignetics from them last month and based on other's posts they are top notch.

My friend bought 2 ton from them and he mentioned it to me that they had them in stock but he did not tell me the brand. I got mine from depot but I figured I'd let people know they had some. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.