Buying pellets now or waiting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Are you buying pellets now or waiting to see if the price goes down.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmathieu

Oct 30, 2008
Litchfield, NH
I normally buy Pennington pellets from a local guy in NH, but the price went up to $320 from $280 last year. He is suppose to be bringing in a different brand that will be cheaper but also lower in quality. I am very pleased with the Pennington Pellets and would love to stick with them, but I am not sure I want to spend that much per ton.

I know buying now is usually the best time, but I am tempted to wait to see if the prices come down.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Dave

I orderd 3 ton from pelletsales.com just figured prices probably wont come down much,the penningtons I burned smelled like bird seed and made golf ball sized clinkers.Yours?By far one of the worst pellets Ive ever burned.Did you check pelletsales? It may be a bit cheaper.They have Lg's in my area which I like very much.

I will have to admit that I did get a lot clickers. I had to scrape the pot every couple of days to avoid issues. However they burned very hot and left very little ash. Looks like I can get LG from Pelletsales.com as well. Have you had good luck with them.

So its $249 + delivery. How much is delivery?

Thanks for the info
Dave

I have burnt about 15 bags before I decided to purchase them, normal ash high heat little fines very decent middle of the road pellet.The penningtons did produce good heat , but were very dirty.Its all on what your stove likes.

I was very tempted to buy the LG's from pelletsales, but instead purchased Lignetics from South Shore Wood Pellets.

I paid $25 more a ton for the Lignetics, but I like them so much, I thought it was worth it.

Sorry I didnt read the bottom of your post, I paid 239.90 a ton with 33 a ton delivery so total 272.90 deliverd. Thats not bad compared to the prices around here.

I paid $25 more a ton for the Lignetics, but I like them so much, I thought it was worth it.

Your right the lignetics are by far the best pellet Ive tried.

I plan on getting at least 1 ton now and maybe 2 tons later! Do to lack of storage there is no way for me to get them all now. but I would rather have purchased all now. I might do my early buy and have the dealer hold till fall. Or have it delivered and store outside(though I don't like doing that)! I might save a little!

jay

Just sent a check into PelletSales.com for 4 tons of CleanFire....I think prices may come down a little, but not much.....I'd rather have them here in the shed, instead of wondering all spring & summer what's going to happen, can I get them at all, etc, etc.

Those 4 tons, plus the ton of Lignetics I have left over from this past winter should do it for me next heating season. Now i can keep my eyes open for cheaper prices and pick a ton or 2 here or there....

Plus, I have to keep my Pellet Pig membership active! OINK OINK LOL

jtakeman said:
I plan on getting at least 1 ton now and maybe 2 tons later! Do to lack of storage there is no way for me to get them all now. but I would rather have purchased all now. I might do my early buy and have the dealer hold till fall. Or have it delivered and store outside(though I don't like doing that)! I might save a little!

jay
Jay,
After seeing so many people get 'burnt' prepaying last year, I'd suggest thinking twice about doing this. Times are tough these days and just about all businesses are feeling the pain... Even the most trusted dealers could be folding at any time.

Storing pellets outside is no big deal, most manufacturers and very many retailers store them outside. I've been doing it for years without a single issue. Just leave them in their factory packaging and throw an extra tarp over them if you're overly concerned. I'd much rather have the pellets sitting outside on my property, rather than letting a hurting dealer hold my money/pellets in today's environment. ;)

countk said:
I was very tempted to buy the LG's from pelletsales,
but instead purchased Lignetics from South Shore Wood Pellets.

I did the same, although for my area LG wasn't an option - plus I
only needed one ton to top off next seasons supply.

Wet1 said:
After seeing so many people get 'burnt' prepaying last year, I'd suggest thinking twice about doing this. Times are tough these days and just about all businesses are feeling the pain... Even the most trusted dealers could be folding at any time.

Storing pellets outside is no big deal, most manufacturers and very many retailers store them outside. I've been doing it for years without a single issue. Just leave them in their factory packaging and throw an extra tarp over them if you're overly concerned. I'd much rather have the pellets sitting outside on my property, rather than letting a hurting dealer hold my money/pellets in today's environment. ;)

Wet1,

I have prebought from this gentlemen for years now. Since he's using my charge card to order them(not charged to card) And I pay cash on pickup or delivery. I only have to pay if I take the pellets. I am only locking in the price.

Thanks for watching out for me. No one wants to get burned!

jay

I just received 20 tons of Eagle Valley pellets. They're supposed to be very similar (Lodgepole Pine) to NEWP Green Supreme, which have worked well for me. I figure I'll sell off 3 or 4 tons to neighbors and I'll have enough to get me through next winter. I installed a Harman PB105 last fall and it worked very well. It's so much quieter than an oil furnace.

Have any of you used Eagle Valley pellets?

Best regards,

Mike

I have them burning in my stove right now, decent pellet great heat average ash ,low fines you should be happy with them, How much do you burn to need 20 ton?Or is that amount for the next few seasons?

So far I got 1 ton of Lignetics and 1 ton of barefoot at $250 each.... If the price is right, I'll buy.......

Been burning my OLE stove since 93. I remember spending $2.40 a bag. :roll: But what are you going to do. I live in Delaware and my choicses are slim. I have burned Agway's for the last 3 years...the guy piles them up in the garage for me for the $50. delivery fee. I am spending $310. a ton and $75 delivery :coolgrin: So I buying my 3 tons NOW...I have the money and a JOB. After 16 years and only a combustion blower replaced I have got my $$$ out of this stove. ( the repair guy wanted $900.00 to replace the blower) I LOVE THIS SITE!!!! Thanks all you for the information!!!

Used to keep the house at 58 with oil 3 yrs ago all pellets and at 70 !!!

Here in mid-Michigan there is a dealer selling an assortment of different brands of wood pellets. The price range for pre-buy $196-$236. I just bought 4.8 tons of uncle Jed's for $230 a ton. I have talked to other vendors in this area and this looks like the best deal for around here. He is advertising them on craigslist. These prices are good until the end of May in which all vendors I have talked to said there will be a price increase.

buildingmaint said:
I' m waiting. I only need like 60 bags , so at $ 280.00 a ton , or $5.50 a bag , I'll wait .

Try Log Hard Premium Pellet in Spartansburg. I have heard some pretty reasonable prices from friends buying there. Sorry don't have a #. About 2 miles East of town just off 77. Look for a sign.

BadDad320 said:
So far I got 1 ton of Lignetics and 1 ton of barefoot at $250 each.... If the price is right, I'll buy.......

Did the $250 include delivery?

Hi Mnkywrnch.

I'll only keep 14 tons for myself and sell the rest to my neighbors. I have a Harman P-61 and a PB-105.
This year I used around 12 tons of pellets. I tried the LG and they were pretty good. I prefer NEWP's
green supreme but I am told that the Eagle Valley are virtually the same. Thanks for your input.

Mike

Howdy!

Just a little feedback on Eagle Valley pellets. I brought a skid into the
cellar just to give them a try. So far so good. They burn exactly like
the NEWP Green Supreme. Low ash, high BTU. They even smell the
same. No binders... Very clean burn.

Thanks.

Mike

Burned 2 tons of eagle valley pellets last winter, best pellets I have burned so far, other then Rocky Mountain Pellets. High heat, average to below average ash, no clinkers etc. Other pellets burned...Barefoot, Green Supreme, Green team, NEWP. I recommend the Eagle Valley or Rocky Mountain if you can find them.

I had two bags left from my 4 tons from last year so I bought another 4 tons and have them stacked in my cellar. I'm all set for winter but we actually haven't made it to summer yet here in maine

BTU said:

Just as an FYI...there is no pellet to my knowledge that is called "British Columbia" as someone thought in an earlier post. That is a province in Canada where some extremely good pellets come from, but nobody that I know of calls their brand that.

Yes, I was curious that the customer would have been offered pellets with "British Columbia" as a brand name rather than just place of origin. I asked in a post in that thread but i don't know if the guy got anywhere with his purchase. It's like some dealer calling his product "American" pellets. As Homer Simpson would say, "Duh!"

Status
Not open for further replies.