Buying some cast iron radiators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2009
WI
$20 each all 5 tube

3 are 38" tall 20" wide 8 sections EDR of 48

1 is 20" inches tall X 80" wide, 30 sections EDR of 80

They were just taken out of service and are out of the house. Steam heat converted to forced air....

The small ones I am not worried about moving. How much do you think the big one weighs?

The 80" one is pretty big and I am not sure if it is worth trying to move it, but dang for $20 could a guy go wrong?

gg

GG The black one I posted a picture of was REALLY heavy. Not as strong as I use to be but smarter. Smarter was what got it in the back of my F350 dump truck. I had 2 staging planks and rope into the front of the truck with a come-a-long. Second person could keep it centered on the plank as I winched it up.
Radiator could have been 200+lbs ???? No idea how heavy the big one would be but these things are ridiculously heavy.
Rob

RobC said:
GG The black one I posted a picture of was REALLY heavy. Not as strong as I use to be but smarter. Smarter was what got it in the back of my F350 dump truck. I had 2 staging planks and rope into the front of the truck with a come-a-long. Second person could keep it centered on the plank as I winched it up.
Radiator could have been 200+lbs ???? No idea how heavy the big one would be but these things are ridiculously heavy.
Rob

I was thinking of doing the same thing I have some metal ramps that are rated to 750lbs that I use to load my Ranger 6x6.

Apparently 4 guys carried it out of the house so I could go that route if I can get enough help. I just don't want anyone to get hurt.

gg

Worth 16cents a lb at the scrap yard so if they don't work out you will make a good chunk of change.
leaddog

goosegunner said:
$20 each all 5 tube

3 are 38" tall 20" wide 8 sections EDR of 48

1 is 20" inches tall X 80" wide, 30 sections EDR of 80

They were just taken out of service and are out of the house. Steam heat converted to forced air....

The small ones I am not worried about moving. How much do you think the big one weighs?

The 80" one is pretty big and I am not sure if it is worth trying to move it, but dang for $20 could a guy go wrong?

gg
For $20 bucks you could take a sledge hammer to the big one & probably get $80.00 at the scrap yard for it. Last I heard clean cast was $300 a ton. Randy Leaddog was a bit faster than me,hence the redundancy.

I'd guess it weighs 500-700lbs. I moved an almost identical one with an F350 bucket truck, a big kid, some moving carts, pry bars and a bunch of blocks. No way in heck I'd try to pick that thing up, unless it was in buckets after the sledge hammer.

I picked them up today. Myself and 3 guys from work lifted them on to a trailer. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.